Footdown - Bang - Spluttering and smoke

P

pulsar400r

Just fitted a new transfer box to the car. Took it for a 5 min test drive and everything seemed fine. Took it straight back out again and the first time I properly tried to welly it, it got half way through the rev range then heard a pop/bang then lost power. Car is ticking over very slowly and spluttery with some blackish smoke coming from the exhaust (not a massive amount). Managed to limp it home, keeping it under 2000rpm the engine didnt seem to run too bad but as soon as the revs tried to pick up it was spluttering and trying to cut out.

Quickly whipped the spark plugs out when i got back and they look alright other than being well sooted up but when I took the plug out of cylinder 3 there was some smoke coming out from the cylinder. Could this be a knackered piston ring or something?

Any ideas what it could be or any easy checks i can carry out before having to look at big strip downs?

Cheers for any ideas.

My money is on a dislocated pipe. Check ur boost guage. Whats that telling you? Plus check ur intercooler pipework. Make sure all pipes are secure and all Jubilee clips are air tight. Problem should be sold. Exact same prolem hapend to me while i was chasing a 09 civic type r. Good luck

vomitt

after fitting my fmic, took it for a drive and built up the revs to about 3k and then had a bang and it wouldnt idle. revs were going up and down on their own and it was smoking badly. i hadnt tightened up a jubilee clip holding one of the silicone hoses joining the IC pipework!

P

pulsar400r

Cheers for the advice people. Was thinking it could be something like that myself. I'll have a good rake around and hopefully it will be something simple like that. Not going to be able to take a look til friday now but I will let you know what I find. Fingers crossed :)

P

pulsar400r

Forgot to mention, boost guage would build up to about 0 when you put your foot down but once it got around 0 thats when it seemed to start spluttering. Suppose this could idicate a leak on the system.

olliecast

Mabe mate, if its on the boost side of the inlet then it may be blowing out when under pressure.
As above, check all clips etc

P

pulsar400r

Cheers lads. Had a look today and found intercooler hose had blown off behind the front bumper. Just refitted it and running sweet again :) for now. Thanks again.

shroom

yer its a "common" thing but something that can shit you up when it happens for the first time, make sure it hasnt got a code 34 i think it is for det sensor as might have sprung it into that when the boost leak happened, there are how to do the fault code check have a search ;)