Floor pans

Daniel2210

Hi, I'm struggling to find information on a specific topic.
Do the UK sunny GTi 2.0E's and the UK sunny GTiR's have the same floor pan, mainly because it doesn't seem like anyone has converted a sunny GTi to AWD. If so, how difficult would it be to do a full conversion, i know you would need a AWD gearbox, the driveshafts and diff, but is there much more difference?

MarkTurbo

I'm pretty sure they are different. The Gti-r has a big raised bit in the floor in the drivers seat area for the exhaust where it has to run to the side of the prop shaft.

I don't know if the rear is any different either where the subframe mounts are.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As above, the GTiR floorpan is unique because of the prop shaft for the rear axle. - I'd guess the rear subframe is different too, because it's carrying a differential.

Obviously I'm happy to be corrected.

Daniel2210

So would it be at all possible to use the GTi floor pan and make it AWD, say if the exhaust didn't matter, is the tunnel big enough for a driveshaft and is the back high enough for clearance. thanks for the input though :thumbsup:

astarozna

If you sort the rear then coming back to front you’ll run in to trouble. Gti has bottom engine cradle gtir does not.....and so on

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Cut a GTiR floor from a doner car, and weld that it? - If it's already written-off do to damage to the top (rollover for example), the floor may still be suitable to use.

Daniel2210

would it be too difficult to cut the parts which do not allow the car to be AWD, and to reinforce the car with a roll cage and then build box section around the new missing parts?

astarozna

In all fairness "all" is possible but is it feasible. Gti-r shells are still available and not that dear. Is there a reasone for conversion or just the question "if it is possible" to do?
Have a look of them and you might know how much time it takes.

MarkTurbo

What about doing it the other way round and saving yourself a load of time and money?

Buy a Gti-r and put a flat bonnet and Gti bumpers on it.

warpspeed

Floorpan is different from the middle of the bulkhead horizontally right to the rear bumper, it's not a feasible conversion really unless you are doing it all yourself, I looked at converting my gti but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
Steering rack also sits higher in the gtir and front hubs are different with the steering arms higher on gtir hubs.