Fitting side mount bucket seats

MarkTurbo

I've just got 2 carbon fibre Sparco Corsa's and was wondering if anybody had any pictures of how they've fitted side mount seats? I want them fixed properly and not on sliding subframes. I remember seeing somebody that did a really neat job of fitting them a while back but can't find anything now due to the search button not working properly.

The main problem is the pain in the ar5e shape of the floor!

johnsy

you can buy fixed subframes, i personally prefer the sliding type, especially having high sided seats, it makes it much easier to get in and out of the car,

there is a guy in newzealand that will do both fixed subframes for about £150 delivered, other than that, cut the oe brackets off the seat and weld plate bar across then attch your side mounts to that!

Trip

I am using the newzealand subframe mated to OMP side mounts to accept a OMP fixed seat.

dencon

Mark. Pop down and have a look at mine, I have Sparco Corsa,s in my rhd and now in the lhd. It will give you some ideas.

gtirx2

I think it was maybe an old post by olliecast about mounting sparco seats nice and low?
I cant seem to find it though.
Can only find 1 pic of the driver seat on mine atm..
The other side of the seat is basicly just bolted straight to the hump in the floor with a plate underneath.

MarkTurbo

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been out to try the seats in the car this evening and after looking at them and speaking to Den i think making up 2 rails to bolt the side mounts to (similar to what williams has done in his pictures) is going to be the way to go but i won't do anything else until i've had a look at Dens car later in the week.

This is about as low as they will go i think, the bottom of the seat is virtually resting on the bulge in the floor.

Trip

Just as a comparison, here is the height of my seat

from the highest point of the bulge to the seat

From floorpan to the seat

MarkTurbo

Trip, mine are slightly lower at the moment but by the time they're sat on a mounting rail i reckon they will be pretty much identical height wise to yours.

Trip

If only i can get them lower. On the last pics the seat is bolted on the lowest hole on the side rail. I had to shave off a little from them to clear the seat lip.

bracpan

I have done a simular fixing with cut down standard mounts,,,its so low I cant see the front bolt close to the tunnel its a sod to do up...lol
But I could go a touch lower and towards the middle of the car to stop my helmet (On my head !!) hitting the roll cage...the dam bump for the cat is the main problem.
phil

MarkTurbo

I've got these in now so just thought i'd put some pictures up to show what i've done. I ended up making 2 mountings for each seat by cutting and welding some 5x40mm mild steel bar to bolt to the original seat mountings on the floor and then bolting the side mounts to those.

Its physically impossible to get the drivers seat any lower as the bottom of it is sat virtually touching the bulge in the floor.

They've got to come out again to paint the brackets so i'll try and get some better pictures as these are a bit rubbish :oops:

This is as a comparison to Trip's picture to show the height from the floor.

Last edited:

warringtonjack

Just out of interest, i'm going to be fitting seats soon, and was wondering if you could take out the bulge in the floor? Assuming you dont need it for the exhaust anymore, is there a structural reason to leave it in? Or could you just hack it out and replace with new floor section? :D :lol:

MarkTurbo

I can't see any reason why you couldn't remove the bulge and re weld another plate back in, you'd just have to run a straight bit of pipe where the silencer used to be.

I've changed my pictures for some better ones now.

MarkTurbo

Cheers. It took me a couple weeks doing bits here and there to get the job done but i painted the brackets and bolted them in properly last weekend. The car is pretty much finished and ready for the first event of the year now 8)