fitting safety devices cage help

gtirjoey

Im in the middle of fitting a 6 point saftey devices cage in my car,
i have the cage assembled in the car all bolts loose as instruction say.
Tonight i thought i would start getting on with welding the brackets etc....
ive got the two bolts loosely done up that go in the 'b piller' where the seat belt goes, and this is where my problem lies basically with these bolts started im left with roughly half inch gap between the back feet of the cage and the turrets??:shock:
is this normal? will it all just pull together if i drill the holes in the turrets and do the bolts up?
:thumbsup:cheers joe

P

pulsarboby

hey joe
yes it will pull together, make sure you leave all bolts loose and fix plates on underside of suspension turret.

was very busy today as you know so sorry couldnt chat bit longer, il be down your place tomorrow anyway so il have a look at it for you whilst im there, il bring my big bosher with me (you know the one thats hard to lift lol)

STU666V

You dont put the bolts in for the seat belts the B piller! the holes there is only for mounting seat belts if you wont! i have about 1/2 to 3/4" there too. once my cage was welded in i had about 10-15mm space at the rear struts but it pulled up fine. Dont over do it with the bolts as my friend broke 6 lugs of his cage as he made the bolts too tight!
Good luck ;-)

P

pulsarboby

i used the b pillar bolts and it still fitted with a bit of jiggery pokey, that b pillar is a main support for the cage in event of a roll
have to say though that they are a poor fitting cage, you do need a nice hammer lol

vss irvine

we didnt fit the b pillar bolts either, but its designed as a 10 point cage so they should really.

for a company like SD the fit if the cage is shocking, and its not just gtir cages either. ive fitted a few SD cages to other cars and they were all poor fits.

ill never buy another new one from safety devices.....

gtirjoey

well glad im not the only one having this problem, cheers bob talk tomorrow.
im thinking of just getting some spacers made to sit behind both the feet then i know i can tighten all the bolts properly, any reason why not?

Last edited: