Fitting GT3071R With 4" Inlet

MORF114

Hi Just bought a GT3071R ordered it from south island and cant be arsed sending it back (i know im a lazy tw@t) i asked for a 2.75 inch inlet but got sent a 4" dumbarses!!! there was a guy on here who stuck a wedge between his manifold and turbo to push away from g/box did this work very well if so who was it so i can get mine stuck on if he still knows his size/angles etc of the wedge he used??

Very much appreciated

Morf

O

Odin

You could try fitting and extra manifold flange between your exhaust manifold and head, This might push it out far enough to clear, I think your better off sending it back though, Because you may need to change your down pipe and oil/water lines in the process of getting the 4" inlet to fit.....

It's just not worth the hassle..

Rob

MORF114

ill prob end up gettin water/oil lines made up as im owed a favour from enz hoses. as for down pipe not too bothered about that just get new one made just wanna know size of wedge really the manifold flange is a good idea might try that one first gud thinking.:thumbsup: cost me money to send back turbo my old man is a manager of a fabrication shop in Auckland so all fab work is free of charge. bonus !!

O

Odin

What ever idea you go with you may need to bin one of the rad fan's, I'm not sure though, I've never seen the wedge so I can't help you their "sorry"....

As for the oil water lines, The oil Line can be a right mare to get hold of the right fitting into the turbo, Plus you will need to think about an oil pressure restrictor to stop the turbo getting damaged.

Good luck with the install though, And get some pics up once your done....

Rob

MORF114

Ill get some shots of it all while im doing it post them up with spes of wedge etc incase this happens to some other unlucky person already had a apology from garrett Australasia!!!

Getting my new suede dash and door trims this weekend hopefully (all fingers and toes crossed) ill take a shot of those too.

Busy weekend gotta fit new interior , new boost controller,edfc, put my teins back on, turbo( gotta get lines and wedge before weekend!!!),intercooler weld new fitting on with new BOV,fuel pump busy busy busy!!

What length lines do they need to be for oil and water ?? any ideas

Mr GTiR

Just bear in mind that if you use the wedge on the manifold to block you will need longer studs.

The way i have seen round this problem before is to have a wedge made to go between the manifold and turbo itself like you said. Send a pm to Neil240z as he has this set up but i'll try and get a photo for you.

Also, his fans had to be relocated to in front of his rad in order to clear the turbo.

O

Odin

I still think I'd be sending it back and getting the right one if it where me lol lol....

Rob

Mr GTiR

I agree Rob, sounds like too much pi$$ing about for my liking. Also, i may have one of these brackets for sale with in a week, so please pm me MORF114

GINGA

A 1/2" manifold flange with a gasket each side and longer studs will give enough clearance but you'll probably need to extend your decat pipe to mate with the downpipe, but like the others have said it would be better just to send it back and get the correct one, the 4" inlet will cause more hassle than its worth.
You can use the standard fans in the original positions, I just cut one of the legs off to clear the outlet pipe, as the fan is plenty stiff enough with just the 2 legs.

neil240z

dont bother with the flange, it wont work, there will not be enough clearence, you will need a wedge or in my case a bracket/pipe then prob a custom elbow so it doesnt touch the rad then a custom downpipe as the standard one will be in the wrong postition.

can briefly see the way mine has been done in the for sale section but i had lots of luck having a friend who worked for JP exhausts who did the job for me.

any other info wanted, let me know

MORF114

Im having a 30mm flange made with longer 60mm studs made up, i mocked it all up today by using wood first as a template and all is good only problem is the exhaust doesnt line up any more and is quite close to the lower front panel if i cant get it to fit ill just get a new elbow made up. rad sits in fine prob get rid of one fan but it will fit up nicely once finished car is off the road as its getting engine and interior all done up so it doesnt matter how fiddly or annoying it is to do as i have the time and the patience to do it.

If it still doesnt fit with flange and elbow ill send housing back and get the correct housing as garrett are willing to do this as they ****ed up the order i just wanna see if i can do it and see what it takes. never give up.

Had to cut a huge palm tree down in afternoon so never got time to fit my dash dammit !! just got sun burnt instead. ill try up load pic on put file or something i think it looks very very nice.:-D :-D

gtirx2

Nice mate this is the turbo i am thinking about i want the one with the 4inch inlet also get a pic up once you have fitted the down pipe.

MORF114

well fitted everything up and all is good so far all i needed was a 30mm spacer ,2 gaskets , longer 60mm head studs and flexible braided oil lines the exhaust fitted up nicely to the turbo elbow now all i need is a 4" k&n filter 7 " long.(6 week wait wish id orderd that 1st!!!) will get photos up soon .

EDITED- Nah the exhaust didnt fit up after i tightened everything up i had to get 30mm welded into exhaust thought id state that!! ALL TOGETHER ILL GET SOME PICS IN HALF HOUR OR SO!!

Plus i thought id add making the spacer plate takes about 12 hours for 1 x 30mm plate all by hand i recently made 2 x 15mm up for a OC member and it took 2 people 10 hours (we changed the shape a little and did a better job than mine) its a right arsehole to make. with a rotor broach drill, gas torch, 9" grinder and a pencil grinder. if you had access to a flow jet it would be a very easy cost effective job.

Last edited: