Fitting a Mongoose

Rob

Hi Guys,

I should be collecting a mongose on Tuesday night, and plan on fitting it quite soon. Can anyone give me some advice. Firstly, I need to know what other bits I will need, such as gaskets etc.

Also, how hard will it be to fit?

Finaly, is it worth lagging the exhaust? If so, where should I get it from?

Cheers

Rob

Keira

Do not even waste your time rob if you cant get the car either up in the air by about 3-4ft or have access to a good size pit.

The centre section is impossible to get up over the back axle on just axle stands or ramps.

I'd get 2 x gaskets for the joint at the decat and some exhaust paste, the front pipe and dumppipe has just a metal ring i think, wasn't on my car when i changed it so just used lots of paste, could change the rubbers if you can be @rsed, give all the nuts a good soak with penetrating oil as they may be seized.

Watch for it hitting the heat shields down the center of the car, at the very back i had to pack the bolt on bracket with washers to get the tail pipe to clear the bumper. Aslong as you can get the centre section over the axle its a piece p!ss, i did end up chopping my standard pipe up to get it off as it was seized to the cat

Keira

As for the lagging i F8cking hate the stuff, having done my manifold with it and having that itchy shIt all over my hand and preventing trusty ratchet spanner from fitting to the pain in the @rse bolt on the manifold several times recently i'd say dont bother, doubt you'll notice any performance gains, and it smokes for ages and stinks as it cures :(

Rob

Ginga,

The current exhaust is standard to a CAT replacement, then some G-Power system from there back.

Kieron.

Thanks for the info mate, looks like I will get it done for me. I know a guy who owns a garage quite well, and i am sure he wouldn't charge me too much, just don't want to give him a bitch of a job to do.

Where can i buy these gaskets, as my Nissan dealers are tossers and I dont want to go to them if possible.

Think i will forget the lagging aswell then, sounds like too much work. :p

Cheers Rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I got all my gaskets from the local motor factors. I think you also need some nuts and bolts to bolt the cat replacement on, as the origional cat had captive bolts on mine. Just take the cat replacement with you and say I want some gaskets and bolts for this :wink:
I also had to rotate the rear hanger on my car as it was the wrong way round for the goose tail pipe.
It's an easy job as long as you can get the car 5feet up in the air :)

otter

I fitted my mongoose last nite and took about an hour to fit on the ramp.
Went to my local nissan and had trouble getting the gasket which goes on the bottom of the down pipe.
They said it was a metal ring??? Dunno if the sales person had a clue but it didnt show a gasket on his computer.

But hey i wish id got a goose much sooner. Reminds me of my dads old cossie wid the scorpian. :D
Wicked!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, it's a metal ring and the one needed for the mongoose is sightly larger than the standard one. It can be made to fit, but I'd try and get a larger one and use some sealing paste too.

A

Anonymous

Wots exhaust lagging?

hey

Stupid question but i have to find out some way so whats exhaust lagging then? Is there any power gains in this?

Cheers kev.

Rob

Whitey,

My understanding is that by lagging exhaust manifolds and exhausts you increase their temperature and accelerate the gasses exiting the exhaust.

Lagging is like a big bandage made out of heat resistant material (I think)

I am sure someone will correct me and give a better explanation soon.

Rob

Rob

Hi,

Got The goose fitted at my mates garage on Thursday, only cost £20 so thats £170 in total. Sweet. 8)

This exhaust is no louder than the system it replaced, but I can feel nice power difference. On my way home, I was driving through my estate and taking a corner, I came on boost much earlier in second gear, and nearly lost the back end. :shock: Now I am used to it though, the much quicker spool up is great. I find that the turbo picks up lots better after a gear change, almost zero lag. :D

I have just got a few in-car rattles sort, then I will be very happy.

Cheers

Rob

A

Anonymous

Can anyone suggest anywere to get my new exaust gaskets???

Cheers kev.