Fault code check procedure

M

memski

Switch ignition on but don't start the engine. In the grey plug under the fuse box, connect the two right pins (chk and ign) with a paper clip for example, for 3 seconds (the engine check light will turn off while you are shorting them out). The engine check light will flash a series which will indicate a code -
Long long long long long (pause) Short short short short short - indicates 55 which is no fault.
If it flashes 3 long and 4 short for example it's the Det sensor.
To clear the ECU codes, short the wires out again while it is flashing the code.

If you leave it flashing the code and then start the engine you will have an inbuilt LEAN/RICH
indicator that works off your O2 sensor (which must be warmed up before it will do it).

Here's the codes:

11 Crank Angle Sensor circuit
12 AFM circuit
13 Engine temp sensor circuit
21 Ignition signal circuit
34 Detonation sensor circuit
43 Throttle sensor circuit
55 No malfunction in the above circuits"

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeSmith

memski said:
If you leave it flashing the code and then start the engine you will have an inbuilt LEAN/RICH
indicator that works off your O2 sensor (which must be warmed up before it will do it).
How can u tell if it's running lean or rich m8?
I was just wondering cos mine seems to be running rich....

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
thats called setting the "exhaust gas sensor monitor" in self-diagnostic mode II

from the manual:

while maintaining engine at 2000rpm under no load make sure engine check light on the dash goes ON and OFF more than 5 times during 10 seconds

(NB. this just checks that the sensor is functioning, it does not report the actual mixture ratio - for that you need a display that reads off the low voltage of our O2 sensor - like the cheap diy one from jaycar http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5195)

G

Glyn

My grey plug is fixed in position under fuse box, after countless attempts it turned out to be the TOP LEFT pin and TOP, 2ND IN FROM THE RIGHT pin I needed to loop on my R. Anyone know if this is weird or just a variation...?

LeeSmith

so what happens if u have more than one fault then??? does it display the fault one after another or does it just show one fault- u fix that then it shows another?

A

AJ4

shows them one after the other IIRC with a small pause in between

G

GTI-R Kid

When you say the engine check light, are you referring to the one beside the speedo with other warning lights?

monsterGTi-R

The orange light under the temperature gauge, when you click the ignition to the turn before it turns over all the lights come on :wink: I think it has got check written on it :)

A

Az

Just wondered what you guys use to short out the top right to terminals? A paper clip? Or is there something special that you use?

I just don't want to frazzle anything doing it :roll: :)

K

kerry

does the check engine light need to of come on in the first place to indicate there is a fault?

hmmm

Turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. The engine check light should be constantly illuminated. Then when you connect the two points using a paper clip or something, the light will flash a code. Make sure you reset it by connecting the two points again. When you do connect the points, hold it for 3-4 seconds.

Does that answer your question?

K

kerry

NO

what i meant was, like on my corsa if there is a fault the engine management light comes on and thats how i know to check the fault code with a paperclip to see what the code is ect

so is it the same with pulsar, does the check light need to have come on at some point for it to register a fault code on the ecu???

hmmm

hmmm. Don't think so.

When my DET sensor failed, I didn't get the engine check light coming on. When I did the fault code check, I got the code 3,4.

Drive the car for a few minutes on and off boost so the ECU can detect any faults and then do the check.

Does THIS answer your question?

Shaun

:D Hi guy's,just a question on the lambda check,i did a check on mine the other week and when i flicked the accelerator the engine check light flickered on and off.I did a check on my mates lambda tonight and when we started the car after about 10 seconds(while still in check mode)the engine check light came on and stayed on for about 20/25 seconds :shock: does this mean that the lambda is faulty :?: or does it mean his is working and mine is faulty :?:

R

r5ben

i was getting 3 long and 4 short flashes whats that then ?? do you have to watch it for ages and count it all up or is the 3 long and 4 short a code ?? im lost with this ??

R

r5ben

:D :wink: cheers mate so its so you take the two numbers and put them together and thats the number right so i got a 3 and a 4 and that is 34 is that right ??

how can i sort the det sencer and what will it do ??