fault code 34 but knock sensor seems fine??

otooleshane

My r is playing up.. When it heats up it feels very sluggish, no pull what so ever. Im getting fault code 34 from the ecu which is the knock sensor. I took the sensor out and tested the resistance. I got 560 ohms on the multi-meter which indicates its ok. Iv also soldered a 1 ohm resistor to pins 27 and 29 on the ecu which is supposed to trick the ecu into thinking the sensor is working fine but i am still gett fault code 34. Anybody with any solutions would really be appreciated cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I really don't think it's a smart idea to try to fool the ECU like that; when there is DET it won't catch it and you'll just destroy the pistons and head. - Chances are that it's the wiring that's faulty rather than the sensor it's self... and I hope you don't really get 560 ohms, because that's about a thousand times less the resistance of a good 'un. ;-)

I think you're going to need to check the cables for continuity between the sensor and the ECU.

otooleshane

ha ok 560,000 ohms.. i was only doing it as a temporary thing but it didnt work anyway. how do i check if the cables are ok? if not how can they be changed??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd start by checking that you get 12V at the sensor when the ignition is on (I'm assuming it's a 12V circuit rather than 5V, but that's equally possible).

To change them? Buy a length of suitable wire (probably 8A would do); cut the broken section out (if you can locate the brake); replace it with the new wire; solder the join and wrap with electrical tape?

Fusion Ed

To be honest the knock sensor on a RNN14 is so ineffective anyway it wont catch anything! But it will most likely need a new one anyway even if its resistance looks right.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Once again Ed, I'll bow to your greater knowledge on this. - Is it worth just moving the damn thing somewhere that's a bit easier to access and not worrying that it's not listening to the correct spot?

Fusion Ed

I only leave the systems operational as its easier to do that than to explain the reason why its not worth worrying about. But I'd be more inclined to disable it on cars it causes problems.

otooleshane

Iv heard they are not worth a crap aswel.. I dont see any break on what cable i can see so il test the voltage then replace it and c what happens.. If i do relocate it do i just screw it to another earth on the car and plug in the connector?

Fusion Ed

grim_d nothing unless you change the ECU. That's why its important to get it setup on the dyno correctly.

If you do keep it, leave it in the stock place, that is the best place for it.

johnny gtir

Iv heard they are not worth a crap aswel.. I dont see any break on what cable i can see so il test the voltage then replace it and c what happens.. If i do relocate it do i just screw it to another earth on the car and plug in the connector?
be carefull if its is monitoring if you move it when refitting as to slack is no good but neither is tightened to tight