FAO those with Top Mount Oil Cooler

Fazz

Hi guys,

About to get an oil cooler kit at last and I'd prefer to mount it on top of the injector rail as done in some cases.

Just wondering does heat soak become an issue here or what are your experiences?

I guess only reason for mounting it on top is for looks and to keep engine bay nice, but if heat soak is there then I;'ll mount it up front...

Im not in traffic a lot, maybe once a week but even standard copes with that much. I'm getting the oil cooler for hard driving as when I motor on for about 15mins the temp oges above half way and I want to keep it lower.

Slight concern being on way to santa Pod if traffic is savage, would a top mount oil cooler be subject to too much heat?

Cheers,

Fazz

P

powerfreack

i put myn behind the grill and it works fine

i would think by fitting it on top is like having the intercooler on top

G

GTI-R Kid

By mounting it up top you probably will get heat soak when stationery, like the original intercooler. Unlike the intercooler though, this doesn't really have any impact on response or trigger any safe mode in the ecu.

The reason many mount it up top is because it works when you're moving, which is what you want, by getting the air feed that used to be directed at your intercooler. Its not such an important issue when the car is stationery as the oil temp shouldn't rise that high anyway to cause a concern.

Personally, we're going to be putting ours up front, so that any risk of heatsoak is eliminated. However, our car will probably spend a lot more time in traffic so its a bit more necessary for us.;-)

If you're gonna be using the car hard I wouldn't bother mounting it up top.
I've just got a 25 row oil cooler and thought i'd try it up top and after 20 mins of hard driving oil was steaming!
Defo go for a front mount.

A

another sunny

I have just fitted the hybrid fmic, i have some space above the intercooler pipes in by the brake ducts, has any body ever seen one fitted here? Range rovers have a small oil cooler in the ns brake duct and i was thinking about one of these, any advice?

Fazz

mixed views so!

@ R called Jay - oil steaming?? after hard driving. Was the cooler not mounted near the bonnet vent so as to get cool air when driving??

@ another sunnny - yes its been mounted in brake duct by a few.. seems fine and gets cool air alright.

@ Frie & Skill - so you think it be fine on top?? have you one?

O

Odin

I don't know why your bothering to put it on top of the engine matey :? , Not only does it get in the way every time you want to work on the car, I think it's more work to mount their anyway, It took me all of 45 minutes to mount it at the front between my rad and intercooler and there's even a nice shaped bit in the front panel for the hoses to go through 8) , Maybe that's because the rally car's mounted their coolers in the same position :thumbsup: :-D .

Rob

youngsyp

I agree with Fire & Skill. You're not trying to cool the oil to inlet charge temperatures. An oil temp of between 70 and 80 degrees C is about right imho, remember that the oil will need to be 'up to temperature' to work properly. Mounting it above the engine, so it gets cold air from the intercooler scoop will be idea.
Another point not to forget which, has been touched on, is that when the car is stationary, the oil temp will drop automatically anyway as, you're not working the engine as you would when pressing on, and so are not heating the oil anywhere near as much !
It might be advantageous to contact the Oilman about this ?!

Fire & skill

Vintage member
if you are looking to do your engine bay up then put it on the top - kind of looks nice there and you are also utilising that great big fookin hole in the bonnet! but as Rob says its just another bloody thing to take off to do any work on it - i was considering putting mine at the lower brake duct but its an awful long run and TBH i dont really see the need to cool the engine oil down past 70 anyway (optimum temp) its your call mate, but no one has had any probs wherever they have mounted it.

that doesnt exactly help you does it! :lol:

MarkTurbo

Thunder God said:
Maybe that's because the rally car's mounted their coolers in the same position :thumbsup: :-D .
Pretty sure the oil cooler was behind one of the brake ducts on the rally car ;-) Passenger side i think (actually they were LHD so it'll be drivers side :lol: )

stumo

only a numpty would mount the cooler on top of the engine.

mount it up front like it should be.

Fazz

Doesn't sound like it makesmuch of a difference where so!

So I'll mount it wherever its easiest and handy!

Thanks for replies.

Fazz said:
mixed views so!

@ R called Jay - oil steaming?? after hard driving. Was the cooler not mounted near the bonnet vent so as to get cool air when driving??
It was mounted in the bonnet vent such that when you lifted the bonnet the cooler would be lifted aswell (ingenious i thought)

But in testing I managed to get temps up to 130 on my gauge (no idea on accuracy but it was hot enough to start to effect the water temps!)

Haven't moved it yet as its a bit big to fit nicely in the brake duct (where my previous one was) and don't fancy it infront of my rad and i/c (warming everything else up)

I mite persist and make ducting so that air actually goes through the cooler (mounted in the vent) rather than going around it but tbh I think i'm gonna remove the washer bottle and mount it in the brake duct for optimum cooling.

Fazz

Anyone used the standard Skyline R33 GTS'T oil cooler??

I know there are kits available for skylines but mainly for GTR's? Does that mena the skyline one is not very good?

Mate has one and will be having a look the weekend.