External Wastegate - recommendation...

radiobar

hi !

i plan to install an external wastegate in my car.
turbo is gt3071r,running 400-450hp.

i can see that there are different sizes - 38mm,60 or other
what does it mean ?

is there any difference if i buy an expensive hks or tial
or can i go for "cheap" ones ?

are there any adjustable ones ?
so i can drive the car at maybe 0.4 bar and set
it higher on racedays....

or can i go for a 0.4 bar spring and set
higher boost via my avcr.

thanks for any info

bye.

MORF114

Wastegates - Facts and Fiction
The more powerful the engine, the bigger the wastegate you need.
This is one of the more popular misconceptions. Use this simple guide before setting out to find the biggest wastegate you can afford.

Big Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate
Big Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
Small Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
Small Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate

Wastegates don't really need to cope with high temperatures.
Contrary to the popular belief, external wastegates are usually mounted at the hottest part of the exhaust. It's the place where all the exhaust gases from the individual pipes meet, creating extra friction, as well as the late combustion of unburnt fuel significantly raises the temperature. Check the temperature rating of the wastegate to make sure it's suitable for your application.

All wastegates use the same type of material for their diaphragm
While similar in shape and size, diaphragms vary greatly in the type of material used. If your wastegate is subjected to extreme temperatures, make sure the diaphragm is made out of suitable material, like Silicone Nomex, capable of withstanding those temperatures.

The larger the wastegate valve diameter, the bigger the flow.
While the valve diameter is, without a doubt, an important part of the flow volume, equally important, but often misunderstood, is the importance of the valve travel. When comparing wastegates, don't be guided only by the valve size, check the amount of valve lift. In some cases it's more beneficial to have a wastegate with a smaller valve and long valve travel than one with a large valve diameter and minimal lift.

Courtesy of turbosmart