Exhaust bung

pulsar kid

in need of an exhaust bung for a 3inch tip for my front exit any ides were to get one just tried demon tweeks but no luck

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you find somewhere cheap I might be interested too... not that I think my exhaust is particularly loud, but if I can stop it booming at 3-3.5k then I'll have a happy wife who's prepared to take long trips in the R.

If you're interested, the two top tips I've found for getting the noise down are; using silcone joining compound in the exhaust (instead of just gaskets and/or firegum); and getting the spark plug gap right (this really surprised me, but setting my gap to 0.9 has made a difference to the exhaust noise).

Tim

Surely this just renders the front exit exhaust useless as those things just make a massive restrction to lower the noise, they don't use any science at all.

Fit a proper exhaust

pulsar kid

it only needs to reduce the tip size down to 2.5in to take that drone sound out.
its still going to be free flowing enough to work better than a full system,

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Surely this just renders the front exit exhaust useless as those things just make a massive restrction to lower the noise, they don't use any science at all.
Yes, but the advantage is that you can take it back out when you want to unleash your ponnies again. ;-)

shroom

Yes, but the advantage is that you can take it back out when you want to unleash your ponnies again. ;-)
beat me to it :)

its always going to be hard to get a large licenced backbox to fit as a front mount and actualy get it to look good, so suppose least this way you can atleast try and do something, and if not take it out

Tim

To blast up and down the bypass? Fun

You'll never pass a noise test at any track with one i wouldn't have thought. Maybe i'm just getting old, but loud exhausts really grind on me, especially from a 4 pot

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No, to be honest I prefer mine to be as quiet as possible... It's already pretty good, but as it's noiser now than when I bought it my wife isn't happy. - I'm only considering the bung as a way to keep it quiet on the motorway so I don't get an earful of "I'm not going any distance in this car again, next time we'll catch the train or maybe a bus". I figure put the bung in, cruise quietly, have happy wife, take bung out, make me happy.

If I could find a way of getting rid of the drone with science, I'd do that in a flash! I'm trying to investigate disrupting the flow at the decat (or maybe just after) to break the standing wave, but without much sucess with my references... I've got hold of some steel mesh to see if making one of those insert cones might do the trick. I might also try putting it across the flange on the decat before I try making a cone; hopefully it will break the wave, but still flow freely enough to retain 99% of the performance.
My second idea was to get a bit of sheet metal, cut and bend it out so that it looks like a decat gasket with a propellor blade in the middle; again I figure that will still flow freely, but by introducing a vortex into the exhaust it shouldn't drone as much.

shroom

I am thinking on the line of a front exit exhaust due to living and working on a farm, the track's around my area are terrible and after fitting a 3" elbow and downpipe I might aswell go around the fields and plough it with that :lol:,

the amount of pot holes and uneven country roads make it practicaly undrivable, messing with my coilovers is alot of hastle and previous owner has not realy looked after them so how adjustable they are is debatable

watoga

I'm trying to investigate disrupting the flow at the decat (or maybe just after) to break the standing wave, but without much sucess with my references...
The problem with standing waves is that resonance will only occur when the system is fed by a particular frequency. This driving frequency will most likely be determined by the exhaust pulses, ie higher frequencies at higher RPMs. By modifying the internals of your exhaust you will probably adjust the frequency at which resonance occurs. What is your main goal? I know you want to eliminate resonance, but where does this occur? At idle? Or at moderate daily-driving RPMs?

You could monitor the dB reading of your exhaust at different RPMs to determine where it is loudest. This would allow you to determine what structures (bends, joins, mufflers, etc.) are causing the resonance based on their seperation distance (related to the wavelength of the resonant frequency). My only worry would be you'd hate to minimize resonance at one RPM, only to have to emphasized at another.

Keep us posted,
Dave

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
For me my exhaust is pretty quiet up until about 3500rpm then it booms (it used to be really bad; as soon as I hit 80mph it was like I'd put the after-burner on). I'd be happy to shift the resonance further up the rev range; I often have to take it over 3500 to overtake or speed-up for hills etc, but hardly ever get to 4000rpm when cruising on the motorway. - I don't care if it gets loud when I'm really giving it some because I hardly ever drive like that with my wife in the car... and it's mainly about keeping her happy because then I keep the car.

I've been thinking about putting a bit of rubber in between the down-pipe and the mount under the engine to see if that stops some of the boom. - It's definitely a frequency thing because popping the sunroof open relieves the pressure inside the car and reduces the boom.

pulsar kid

i really think mate one of those bungs would help you there. plus so easy to fit when required. i had a scooby with full 3in decated system into a vortex and that was loud so fitted one of those bungs and it removed most of that anoying crusing speed drone at specfic throttle postion. so basically treid and tested and got my thumbs up! the only concern for me with the front exit will it cause mine to run hot?

bakewell

i had a front exhaust on mine was good around the town with the bung in.Or round the town with the bung out good for making people jump with the pops and bangs.Then when i took it out and it came on boost it was loud but not that u couldnt have a conversation with the window open.It all depends on what your neighbours are like lol