Engine Problems!

karlthebush

Just bought a standard 94' Pulsar GTiR (91000 miles) with suspected turbo seals gone as it was smoking a bit of blue smoke at boost and a bit while ideling after driving. anyway was i just driving down to a friends house to strip the turbo and somthing happened...:cry:

I was in 2nd gear about 4k and there was a loud bang and flash from exhaust, car then lost power and came to a stop. when i try and start it it will just about start, its missing and with full throttle the engine slowly revs up to just over 1k then drops down and cuts out.

Any ideas?

My friend has carried out a compression test and he says all cylinders are ok at just over 7bar on each, excluding 1 which was just under 7bar.

Thanks
Karl.

Possibly a boost hose, turbo seized. ANything really.
Check all boost hoses, and while your at it, take the inlet pipe off the turbo and have a feel at the spindle to see if its moving or stuck and see if theirs any play in it.

skiddusmarkus

Also check all spark plug leads are pushed down and plugs are good, if 1 or 2 aren't it doesn't want to rev.Also you have very low compression.

John

Failed Dizzy cap/rotor arm? Exact same thing happened to mine and that was the cause, worth a check I guess.

bensmith907

Erm 7 bar is about 100psi which is very low. I have just taken a piston out of my engine that has had both ringlands gone which was compressing better than that!

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Erm 7 bar is about 100psi which is very low.
Yes, it should be about 9-10 bar per cylinder shouldn't it? - About 140psi

The fact it went BANG and you had an afterfire (rather than a backfire; I was paying attention to the difference when it was explained) suggests some kind of catastrophic failure, so I suspect you're going to find something has broken, but I doubt it's all four pistons. - If you know the turbo was on the way out I'd be checking that. It does have the hallmarks of an induction issue (unmetered air is causing it to run like shite).