Engine Mounts

Trip

I spent the best of 2 days trying to get the bloody engine in car.

The rear gearbox mount is not really aligning to the bracket hole . Its about 3 to 4mm out to the left (looking at the engine bay from the front) I've put down the engine a couple of times trying to get this mount sorted but to no avail.. Even when i get the other two in place, this bastard does not want to give in.

the engine, gearbox and transfer case are all new and never been in the shell before. The mounts are new too and very hard (powerflex).

Some friends of mine told me to put the car resting on the floor as it might change the flex of the chassis.

Anyone had this problem ?

Nasher

I had this problem. The best way I found was to put the engine mount on the engine and bolt it in place. Then bolt both gearbox mounts to the car. Then with those in place align the back one up and bolt up, then align the front one up. I had the engine supported by a crane so i could move it up and down to line it up, and I put pressure on the mount with my foot while someone else put the bolts in. It is a bit of a pain to get it lined up with the poly mounts as they dont move much.

The first time I did this I tried attaching all the mounts to the engine/gearbox then trying to line them up with the car, but was impossible to line up.

I have no idea if there is a better way, I hope someone has one!

Trip

lossen all the nuts, get them lined up and the bolts in and then torque them up
done that already. there is not enough play when the nuts are loose.

That particular mount has 2 bolts facing the side (left wheel) and a fixed stud facing the floor.

pschurr

Yes, the way to do that is NOT to try to line up the poly mount itself by moving the engine.
Leave the engine mount bolted to the chassis, and unbolt the 2 bolts and stud at the gearbox.
Then you use the stud to line up the gearbox to the mount when installing.
That's what the stud is for, and why it's tapered at the end - so the gearbox side slides onto into when lifting the engine/gbox assembly up.

peter

Trondelond

And if that doesn't work, I had similar problems. Ended up bolting in both gearbox mounts, and put a big crowbar on the side of the front gearbox engine mount. Pulled at it, and was able to get the left hand side mount in that way.

Trip

thanks for your input guys.. I will give it a try and let you know the progress.

Trip

So.. after swearing my head off for the next day. I decided to remove the mount from gearbox, seperated the rubber from the mount and was left with the middle shaft.

On placing just the middle shaft in the bracket. it was showing identical problems.. i just didn't want to align it self.. What it turned out was a small piece of (what i could see) welding jutting out next to the hole. Since the shaft has a larger OD from the standard mount it found this welding spot in the way

a 10minutes job with a file and it was sorted.. 2 bloody days for a spot of welding.. GREAT