electrical problem, car won't spark!

Mr GTiR

sorry to any mods but i need help on this!

i've just had the engine rebuilt and put back in.

Everything is connected but the f***ing thing won't start!!!

I've checked that the fuel pump is working as you can hear it start up and fuel is getting through.

I've so far swapped my coil, dizzy, HT leads, ignition amplifer, and ecu all off a car that is in good working order.

All the earth's and power sources have been checked and are fine. All the electrials plugs are in.

The car will crank over but just won't fire from the f***ing coil!! There is an electrical signal going to the coil but the dam thing won't spark!

I've had a mate down with Consult II and the only faults are:

Camshaft Posi Sen 0
Ign Signal Primary 0

I have been told as the coil is not sparking these faults will show up as the dizzy and crank sensor was off a good car at the time of the test!

On the coil there are two wires, one of which is a live and the other a switch live. I have been told that the live is a good 11.3V and also same for the switch live. However when i try to start the car the switch live is dropping to about 6/7V :? Now after trying all of the above parts we think it's the switch live that is at fault or the wiring harness. Anyone ever had a fault simular to this or can suggest somthing?

Also, i have noticed that my rear heated window demister does not work and the n/s front light (but indicator does work :? ). I don't know if this is connected or another problem i have.

Anyone know the wiring circuit on an R or offer any sugestions?? Really i need the help of an auto electrician but don't know/afford any.

help.....

Moved- Hannie (sorry but got to be done!)

E

Edd

think i'd better move this...........joke :lol: :lol:

have you checked all your fuses and relays :?: :!:

B

Brett G

Is the battery in good working order?
Does the switch live voltage only go that low when cranking?
Or maybe something is draining the power when ignition is switched on??

skiddusmarkus

Have you tried disconnecting the wire off the alternator and checking the voltage on the coil to see if that's not charging properly?

S

seanleed

Have you had the power transistor checked?
I've had a quick look at the wiring diagram and on the switched side of the coil, there is a resistor going to the ecu, so that could be what's lowering your voltage when you crank it.
The power transistor will switch to earth when the ecu tells it to which will collapse the voltage in the coil and hopefully give you a spark; so if the transistor doesn't switch, no collapsed voltage in the primary coil, no induced emf in the secondary coil and no spark.
No idea where it is though :?: :?:
If anyone knows an RS part number for an equivelant transistor I could see about ordering one from work and sending it down to you.
Have you tried changing the coil for another one, or checking the resistance of the coils?

A

Anonymous

when i had this problem my dizzy and gearbox plugs were the wrong way round. even though they seemed to fit better the wrong way round.

i dont know if the 4wd plug is the same as the 2wd (as mine is 2wd) but it might be worth checking.

Mr GTiR

eg6-b18c6 said:
when i had this problem my dizzy and gearbox plugs were the wrong way round. even though they seemed to fit better the wrong way round.

i dont know if the 4wd plug is the same as the 2wd (as mine is 2wd) but it might be worth checking.
yep this was the cause of the problem, turns out this is quite a common fuck up made by people :oops: