Electric Sounding Whirring Noise When Cold

Gray

When I am driving my car from cold comething is making an electric sounding whirring noise which gets higher with the revs, only when the engine is cold though.

Any idea what this could be?

O

Odin

Sounds to me like the power steering pump :wink: , But you never know with these bl00dy cars :lol: :lol: .

Could also be aircon pump (if still fitted) or even the alternator, It has to be one of them really if the sound goes up and down with the revs :wink: .

rob

Gray

I have no air con, had it ripped out. Power steering feels normal. Could it be water pump?

As I am losing about a pint of coolant out of the resevoir every 2 weeks.

O

Odin

Gray said:
I have no air con, had it ripped out. Power steering feels normal. Could it be water pump?

As I am losing about a pint of coolant out of the resevoir every 2 weeks.

Yes i just read your other post :oops: , It could indeed be the water pump fella, Pretty easy and cheap to fix really :wink: .

rob

Gray

That will be good news if it is as it would kill two problems with one stone. I was hoping upon hope it was not the head gasket but I didnt think it was as it is a slow loss of coolant and I dont get any white smoke when the engine is warm, coolant is clean and so is oil.

Although I never see any leaks of coolant under the car and apparently if it leaks out the water pump I would see coolant on the driveway?

O

Odin

Gray said:
I would see coolant on the driveway?

thats not allway the case, but you may be able to see a water stain on the oil pump cover just under the water pump :wink: .

rob