ecu mapping

stifler1603

where can i get an ecu mapped and for how much these are the specs i want :front mount intercooler, 1bar boost, no fuel cut, no boost cut, walbro fuel pump, kn&n air filter. gasoline 92% octaine

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The only part of that which would require a remap is the 92RON fuel; the boost etc is within the range of the standard ECU, but you'd need something installing to prevent the fuel cut.

EDIT: My bad. I've fallen for the trap of believing everything that the manufacturers tell me; the FCD doesn't work with this engine.

Does the Bee*R one work? The principle seems to be that you set the ignition cut at a rev limit below the fuel cut on the ECU; that way when you hit it you just overfuel instead of going lean. - That means that you can get lots of pops and bangs from it too.
I'm not entirely convinced that it doesn't just lead to bore wash and damage to valves, exhaust and turbo... but then if you're the kind of person who's always hitting the redline maybe you don't care about that.

Did I misunderstand, and it's actually just that you want to remove the speed limiter (which cuts the ignition)? - That's still quite easy and doesn't require a remap.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I guess he is from the USA?I think their 92 octane is like our 95 as they use a different standard for measuring.
How does that work? Surely the Research Octane Number (RON) is the same anywhere in the world... or are you saying that they use the aviation standard (Motor Octane Number - MON) in the USA?
If that's the case, then I concede that you're probably right... in fact it would make sense that the Americans don't use the same measurement as anyone else. :doh:

To confuse the issue further, in commonwealth countries "gasolene" was actually lamp oil and "petroleum spirits" were what you used in a car. - There is a technical difference between the two, and gasolene would then be a lower RON fuel... but I don't think anyone has made that distinction in a long long time. ;-)

Carl, I've already been set straight about that. :oops:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What is wrong with me today?

Wikipedia tells me that they use the AKI (anti-knock index) in the Americas and not RON or MON... and it makes about 4-5 points difference so 92AKI = 86MON = 95RON (just like you said).

Maybe I need to get more sleep.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I thought America used PON, pump octane number which is the average of RON and MON. Their 92pon will be (96ron+88mon)/2

stifler1603

no guys i live in the caribbean on an island by the name of montserrat. i have the only gtir on the island. the gasoline we get here is very low in octaine sometime we even get 85% octaine gasoline. so we have to add several bottles or octaine boosters.

sypher

Stock ecu doesn't have boost / fuel cut enabled, FCDs are simply a waste of money on a GTiR, for what you've described you want I would say something along the lines of a mines or simalar just make sure the rev limit is set.

skiddusmarkus

I think they are supposed to have quite an aggressive map, not suitable for low octane fuel.Have you considered water injection with a 50/50 methanol mix to help boost your octane?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't go with a Mines; that's setup for high-octane fuel with a map extended to about 1.2 bar and increased redline. It's not drastically different from the stock ECU which is why it's such an easy upgrade.

The aquamist system is a good idea, but I think it's probably going to come down to a PFC or something like Nistune if you want to be able to run on really bad fuel; it won't be good for the engine though, so expect to loose a lot of power to make it run without detonation.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah thats why I suggested methanol.It has a ridiculously high octane rating and with a 50/50 mix injecting at 10-15% of the petrol it can raise the octane significantly.
Edited to add-don't try pouring the methanol into your tank as it can kill fuel pumps and will seperate from the petrol when stood, if its injected into the airflow this isn't an issue.