Ebay manifolds..................... again!

watoga

Hello guys and girls,

A while back I bought a "chocolate" stainless steel Ebay manifold, which required a lot of strengthening work to stop is cracking and falling apart. I bought this manifold because I thought it might be a genuine performance part, but now wish I had stuck with the OE item.

Anyway, recently my standard T28 turbo has started to die and I was looking for a cheapish (but still remaining reliable) way of getting the car back on the track. In my garage I was lucky enough to find:

A 38mm TiAL external wastegate,
An old (but still fully useable) Garrett T3 turbo, and
A 38mm external screamer pipe.

So these items would allow me to avoid purchasing a new turbo costing several hundreds of GBP, but leaves the problem of finding a suitable manifold. However, searching Ebay allowed me to locate a cast GTiR specific manifold with both T3 and 38mm wastegate flanges. Here are some pics of the item:

So, while this manifold may seem suited for the job, am I missing something obvious? Could a turbo be fitted to this and still clear the block? Or would I typically need all sorts of spacers and angle adaptors? Would I be better scrapping this idea and just saving for a GT3071RWG? I know a custom downpipe would have to be made up in addition to elongated water and oil lines, but I would imagine this is quite an easy job compared to everything else?

Many thanks for your infinite wisdom and opinions,
Dave

turugtir

Look on the USA forums about this manifold, they use a lot the GTIR manifold to suit their sentra's so somewhere there you will find info about this, for sure.

Smo

This manifold is a poor design - try to picture the gas flow from cylinder 1 and cylinder 4. They head straight at each other and will create turbulence, it's not terribly free-flowing.

watoga

You'll need a remap too
Yeah, I'm running NIStune so I can remap the car pretty quickly. It's really just space issues I'm worried about.

As for top-mounting the turbo, I'll have to check the existing manifold as I can't remember which way around the bolt-pattern goes! Thanks!

Cheers guys,
Dave

watoga

It's top mount. :)
Ahhhh, thanks! I suppose top-mounting doesn't really leave much room underneath the bonnet! Has anyone top-mounted a turbo on their GTiR before? I think I recall someone trying it in the past................

Cheers,
Dave

shroom

Dobby on here as a top mount to name a few, its not realy that difficult you would just have to re make a elbow to meet the downpipe or have a side exit, new oil return and things made up like that, does look quiet nice having the turbo up in view but is it realy worth the hasstle if your stock job can do just the same performance wise lol

Last edited:

watoga

I completely agree with you shroom. I'm only interested because I have the 38mm wastegate and T3 turbo handy. If I didn't have these, then I'd most definitely opt for a standard-position GT3071RWG (after a bit of saving!!!). However, since the manifold is much cheaper than a new Garrett I was tempted to give it a go................... Not sure what to do now!

Thanks,
Dave

Empty Pockets

I have the protech version of this and the bonnet closed fine with a gt3582 on it, it also had a 8mm spacer between the turbo and manifold so the turbo would clear the rocker cover. Hope that helps mate.

watoga

I have the protech version of this and the bonnet closed fine with a gt3582 on it, it also had a 8mm spacer between the turbo and manifold so the turbo would clear the rocker cover. Hope that helps mate.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful! Did you have to do much fiddling with the elbow, downpipe, oil/water lines? And in your mind was it a worthwhile conversion?

Cheers,
Dave

shroom

see if you can get it not top mount, give them an email may have the stock possition you never know ;)

Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info! Very helpful! Did you have to do much fiddling with the elbow, downpipe, oil/water lines? And in your mind was it a worthwhile conversion?

Cheers,
Dave
I didn't do anything other than bolt the manifold to the block as i was only using it to get measurements for a different manifold, i have a few pics of it bolted on from different angles i could email you if you like, you might be able to get a better idea from them ? If so pm your addy on the other forum, my inbox has been cropped too 20 pm's and i need to keep the one's that are already in there. Russ

watoga

Cheers Russ,

I've sent you a PM.

Shroom, I see you've gone back to your roots with the avatar???? :p

Dave

shroom

is your t3 turbo anything special? or just a random unbranded thing,

yer I have 8), quiet confused about what to put there so just settled with that avetar for the time being, sheep are there to be hated and abused :lol:

watoga

sheep are there to be hated and abused :lol:
LOL! My turbo is a genuine Garrett T3 item. I'm not sure if its a ball-bearing item, or simple journal bearings, but it spins smoothly with no play in the shaft so I'm fairly keen to give it a go..........................

Cheers,
Dave

bernieGTIR

i'm also in need of a t3 flanged manifold but i'm unable to find one. is there some one that makes one or is it going to be a custom job

thanks paul :-D