EAGLE RODS DO NOT FIT THE GTi-R UNLESS YOU USE DE BEARINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sirnixalot

Ive seen alot of you guys talking about buying rods from the US, the only US manufactured rod that fits the GTi-R crank is made by Crower (Part # B93970B) and costs around US$600 for the set. Just thought i would let you guys know that the Eagles will not fit. It has been tried and it will not work, there is 2mm of side to side play not to mention they wont fit the bearings either.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sirnixalot

they are rods not pistons :p and ill have the answer as to the question...i dont actually know myself but i can find out on the US forum.

skiddusmarkus

Nikko-me and VP have been having this discussion and I shared your thoughts....but several of the big tuning companies have saif they will fit and you have to use the 200sx bearings.Discuss :lol: .

S

Sirnixalot

on...the rod journals on the GTi-R crank are 19mm wide. ALL other versions of the SR20DE and DET have 17mm rod journals. You put 17mm bearings on a 19mm journal and what do you get? lateral movement. You put 17mm wide rods on a 19mm bearing what do you get? lateral movement.

Lets move up the rod (assumming you are using GTi-R made pistons), the rod will have lateral movement on the wrist pin as well.

I know you guys are always looking for cheaper parts but please PLEASE trust me on this. If you want rods get Fardon, PAR or Crower ones. Do not skimp on internal parts, and dont try to justify cutting corners when it comes to a rebuild.

Also i know you are probably getting pistons from Jason (jgycustoms) as well make sure he gets you GTi-R pistons.

skiddusmarkus

This is all stuff I've said but people keep coming back with the same answer...that they work.
Oh yeah-I found somewhere evn cheaper than there as well :wink: .

S

Sirnixalot

simon reword that....they fit :wink: but they dont work PROPERLY...thats all im getting at. I will be spending the extra $300 to get the crowers and know that my engine wont fall apart rather than skimping on the $300 and wonder when my engine will break

S

Sirnixalot

Ok
ive just been on the phone with jason and we have discussed the details.

The reason why thye woudlnt fit for me and another forum member is because we were using GTi-R bearings. Apparently the 17mm bearings will fit the GTi-R journals without allowing any if at all lateral movement. So we had clashing experiences.

So happy modding with those Eagle rods and sorry for the misunderstanding

Nad

But they r still cheap and nasty ;) I agree u shouldnt cut corners. If ur not going to do something properly dont do it at all. The only way to save money is get the best bits cheaper else where. Not cheaper parts from elsewhere.

Nad

A

antilag

my experience with eagle rods ent great i have spoke to 3 or 4 suppliers and they all said they have used eagle rods and dont really wanna use them again there not worth skimping on especially wen r rods are pretty good anyway i'd rather stick with the standard rods over eagle.spend the few hundred dollors more and go for a decent set

S

Sirnixalot

they are excellent quality rods (at least the set i ordered and had to sell :evil: ) but at the time they wouldnt fit. Im still going for the Crowers but thats a personal choice because i like the fact that i can use the standard GTi-R bearings

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, i started reading this topic and was shaking my head. :x Finally towards the end of the topic most of the correct answers were mentioned. Guys, i mentioned and explained all of this on the Yahoo list (and maybe even on here, can't remember) when i was rebuilding my engine.

All SR20 rods are the same thickness width wise as the allowable clearance (axial movement) between side of rod and side of crank journal is quite small and the length of crank of a GTI-R and 200SX or SR20DE is the same length.

So, with the rods being the same width externally, it is the bearing width which is different (19mm wide for the GTI-R, 17mm wide for all other SR20 motors). There will not be 2mm of axial (side) conrod movement, its just that if the 17mm bearings are used on the R conrod the bearings will be offset to each half bearing shell (but it will still be within the external width of the conrod). If 19mm bearings are used on a SR20 conrod, well i'm not sure if the bearing will be sitting within the external conrod width, but the bearing shells will be offset to each other. I have physically seen 17mm bearings being used on stock GTI-R conrods, and shook my head when i saw it. :? It will work (as will SR20 conrods being used with 17mm bearings in a GTI-R) but it won't be ideal.

I know that people are trying to help others, but i get frustrated at the wrong info that gets posted on the net. :x My philosophy is if i have personal experience in the topic then i will comment, but if i haven't done it myself physically then i will normally refrain from commenting or mention something along the lines of that the info could not be all legit.

Not having a go at anyone at all, just pointing out some of my observations. :wink:

Ivan

S

Sirnixalot

i must be getting some strange rods then. I know the crank journals on either GTi-R ot other DE/DET cranks are the same but the rods i used were actually 2mm thinner. I have never built an engine before but in engine building terms 2mm is a very large space. I was under the assumption that to spite the tightening torque on the connecting rod bolts, f both the crank journal and the wrist pin had 1mm of clearance on either side you would get lateral movement. GRR what i posted was my actual experience. But thank you for informing us as to why they will work. Jason wasnt fully able to explain it as to why. Gonna keep mouth shut later on...insert foot here :eek: :oops:

O

Odin

I'v gone for the par set now seeing as there rated at a 1000bhp 8)
I spose they shouldn't brake and there made for the gtir engine so
no fitting problems :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.