dying when cornering - fuel surge?

A

adey

One month into GTI-R ownership enjoying most of it But one annoyance :( is stalling when cornering hard, with anything less than a half-tank of petrol. Just totally dies for a few seconds until it comes out of the corner, then picks up again and is fine. Is this a common problem? The tank's so small it's a pain having to fill it up every 100 miles .. is there such a thing as a baffled tank, or some other mod to help with this.

J

Jamz

I have exactly the same problem. I just tend not to corner hard with less than half a tank of fuel :D

M

Mr Overboooost

its probably down to the pickup on the fuel pump not being long enough if its been replaced with a uprated one

cheers
gary

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Quite a few people have had this problem after fitting an uprated fuel pump. Do you know if you have one fitted?
Like Gary said, it's probably down to the pick up on the pump.

M

Mr Overboooost

the reason it happens is that most people fit the filter which comes with the uprated pump but they are usually to short unlike the standard one .
the best thing to do is use the standard pickup which will fit on walbro pumps as i have done this on mine.

cheers
gary

A

adey

I believe it's a standard fuel pump (i.e. seller said it was). Xcuse a numpty question, but what is the "pickup"?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's the bit that goes onto the pump (rubber hose? when mine fails I'll tell you :p ) and sits in the fuel to "pick up" the fuel :wink:

warringtonjack

Yeah same prob with mine. :roll: Quite a few of the imports have been upgraded to a skyline fuel pump, the pick-up line is indeed shorter on these than on the standard R pumps, and unless the bloke knew what he was looking at, he may well have mistaken it for a normal pulsar one. Just guessing. Anyway, short pick-up and low petrol equals stalling on hard corners, particularly left handers in my experience!!!