DTA ecu anyone run one, where best to get mapped /looked over

Tk1

anyone on here run a dta ecu ? i have one on my car but have rpm and boost issues
how do they find the an rpm signal ?

and where is best place to take it in the essex/suffolk area to take a look at it and tweak the map
Tk

noriek2003

the only gtir i've seen with dta on was on a car i did a clutch on and that allen (ashills) ended up buying, it was piggybacked off the standard ecu like an emanage..lol, from memory i think pts put it in and it was quite possibly the most hideous mess we've ever seen in regards to the wiring.

this one was using a crank trigger and a signal off the dizzy for rpm, boost would've been read through the map sensor if it was controlling the wastegate which it wasn't, this car had both, the standard maf and a map sensor, it really was set up like a turd, shame as its a more than capable ecu.

in saying all that you may well struggle to find anyone near to you that does dta.

Tk1

the one i have is done properly (i think) no maf no dizzy custom loom etc..
how do they get a rpm signal do you think ?
my rpm is all over the place and on start up from cold it does not register on the clocks / avcr/ apexi rpm,speed meter . after a few a mins the needle flutters then shows the rpm after a few more mins the apexirpm meter then shows the rpm then a few mins later the avcr goes mad and then settles to read the right rpm , i have no idea whats going on, funnily enough the car has been set up at pts in the past. once the rpm has settled on all the gauges the boost is a lot better but still not right with slight hessitation now and again
any ideas ?

noriek2003

have a look at the crank pulley, there must either be a toothed wheel and a crank trigger or its taking its reading from the cam which could be by using the nissan cas in the dizzy or a cas off of another car in the same position, depending on how its set up it may be crank trigger and phase sensor on the cam but i'd say thats unlikely, some ecus are set up by taking a reading off the flywheel but again i would say this is also highly unlikely.

Tk1

aha thats why there is a toothed pulley on the crank, i did'nt even think about why it was there, just noticed it today
(only got the car yesterday)

Tk1

to dark to be going out there now, how does this work then the trigger and toothed wheel ?
sorry for the questions but really intrested on how these work and getting the power it should be putting out,
totally different to my other pulsar that i have

edIt: when i say how does it work i mean how could it be knackered/causing problems

Last edited:

red reading

the sensor that is reading of the toothed wheel (they normally sense a missing tooth) could be breaking down/very dirty/loose or the wiring could be knackered

noriek2003

in short, simple terms

there will be a toothed wheel on the crank pulley, it will have a certain pattern, for arguments sake 36-1, but there are other patterns. The sensor 'counts' the teeth and the ecu knows its at tdc on number 1 when it it counts the missing tooth

as soon as the engine turns on the starter and the ecu counts the teeth it will see an rpm.

When i did the clutch on the car with the dta we bent the trigger wheel slightly when taking the engine out or putting it back in and the ecu would lose its rpm reading slightly and not fire properly, it took fooking ages to spot the bent trigger wheel as from the top it looked ok..lol

Tk1

righto i'l have a check in the morning, i was'nt sure how they worked, being so low down i imagine theres a bloody good chance its filthy
and trying not to sound like a numpty but would the boost be affected by a dodgy rpm signal ( i assume so)

Tk1

looking at the ecu now it says :
model: 4/fu/1/s
version: v3.0
f/ware: v12.0
serial number: 1586

Tk1

been on the dta site , and also enquired about a lead ,

problem is i dont know whats upsetting the rpm on the clocks/avcr/apexi speed controller, after 5/10 mins of running up to temp the rpm is right on all instruments , cars running ok just cruising (apart from real bad idle)
other problem is hessitations on boost and not making the 1.8bar the avcr is set at, although not currently road legal i cant really try this out properly at the moment , this will be next months project (cash injection) as my other pulsar had a new box/clutch starter etc.. this month

Fusion Ed

Ok well if you want me to take a look just give me a shout, I often get odd ball stuff like this to sort out (Had a CRX last week with Omex which had been mapped like the french alps!) It can be sorted however.