Droning/rubbing noise

A

Anonymous

I have had a droning / rubbing noise on my R for a few months now, started off very quiet, and has gradually got louder and louder.

Took it to a few garages, including a Nissan dealership, and told by all they were certain it was the drivers side front wheel bearing. Spent £78 just on the parts, and guess what? noise is still there exactly the same as before.

What else is it likely to be, its louder if you are going faster, car drives fine, all the gear changes are smooth, clutch is working fine, car performs as it should. Its only running standard boost. Nothing was mentioned on its MOT last week.

What are the comon noises on things wearing out. I can't really afford to keep changing parts until it goes away. What is a good way of diagnosing these problems.

Thanks

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it was the drivers side front wheel bearing, you should only get a noise when you're taking left hand corners.

When do you get the noise? corners (which way)? straight line? accel/decell?

J

jasegould

If it was the drivers side front wheel bearing, you should only get a noise when you're taking left hand corners.
Sometimes it can be the other bearing tho, had it at work a couple of tyimes where weve replaced a bearing because on the roadtest it sounded like it was one side, only to find the noise is still there and only sorted it by changing the other side...even tho we couldnt find anything wrong even aftet spinning it up on a ramp...can only think the noise travels through the box :?: Very hard to tell with an R because you cant really spin the wheel up that fast

If you definatelt have a wheel bearing noise from the front Id replace the other bearing.

A

Anonymous

cheers guys,

You see thats the thing, i'm not really sure what a wheel bearing sounds like because I have never had a knackered on before, but I took it to a few garages and they said the same thing.

It makes a noise whether you are going round corners or just in a straight line. Its not really audible until around 25-30 mph, and is at its loudest when power is driving the car forward. If I let off the accelerator the noise diminishes a bit.

Its a very hard noise to pin point like you say, I wouldn't put my life on saying its the drivers side to be honest. I certainly don't mind changing the other side, but I can't really afford to spend another 78 quid to find its still there, so i'm just trying to get a few ideas.

Thanks

Dan

T

tompowis

have had exactley the same thing on mine mate :!: , changed one bearing,got it back still the same but only on cornering one way now :(
Car has gone back in to have the other one done today so ill let you know if it sorts it :wink:

A

AZ STE

Check the front to back drive shaft/Coulping supports which are situated under the gearshift tunnel these can give a similar noise if worn as you are discribing.

T

tompowis

got my car back last night after having sesond wheels bearing fitted and it now sounds lovely! all noise has gone and its running lovely and smooth :D
amazing the difference it has made cause it did sound horrid before (like it was alot more sereous than it was)

Tony

When my rear wheel bearing went i had a droning noise, quite deep wow wow wow wow sort of noise!!!

Have you tried steering the car left to right on the motorway to see if the noise goes or gets quieter when you go in one direction?????

Tony....