Drive shaft

Trip

I am in process of removing the engine. I only need to remove the drivers side drive shaft out and the engine can be lowered.

I am removing the shafts from the inner CV joint. the passenger side was easy, but the driver side is a PITA.

Already removed the lower arm ball joint, steering rack ball joint, and shock so basically i have the hub free to move. but the shaft doesn't want to come out from the CV joint, unlike the passenger side.

Is there some clip holding the cv joint in place ? since there is lots of grease i cannot check whats holding the thing not coming out.

Thanks
Ev

nissans rule

as we are just on the subject of driveshafts my passenger one is bolted on to the box like a gti golf. and when i was taking my engine out i left the drivers one on the box cause it didnt want to come lose. never saw another gtir box are they all the same

Keira

none of the driveshafts are bolted to the box on a gtir

trip, you can get them out without cracking ball joints and splitting cv's

carlengerer

The inner cv joint comes off the drive shaft just like the outer cv joint, you could make up some tool like a some sort of sliding hammer if its abit hard (if thats possible)..its better than hitting the joint too hard on one side of the cv joint. My prob was the taking the drive shaft nuts off the front, I had to heat them up with a propane torch which helped alot.

Keira

can you get a pitcure of it ?

no standard gtir gearbox has a driveshaft that bolts to it, i dont know why you think yours does, you're either looking at something else, like the end of the shaft where the half shaft bolts up or you have something very odd on your car, the shafts are held in with circlips, thats all.

you dont mean the propshaft do you that bolts to the transfer box ?

oldaneal

there are about 6 bolt around there think there think there on the inner part of the driveshalf if you take the inner cv boot off then the driveshaft should easily come in 2 parts then and the whole inner part will pull out with a good sharp tug

thats from memory thou cars not here to look at

Mr GTiR

The whole lot will come out in one piece, just give it a good old hard tug!

The CV joint is joined onto the inner CV shaft via 6 bolts. Like Kieron has said you do not need to strip the shaft down in order to get them out.

Just a word of warning, if you have not drained the box and transfer of oil then you will get oil leaking out once you remove the drive shafts.

Keira

rossdj1983 said:
thats only 4 bolts is it not?
yep, but the bloke is convinced his driveshaft is bolted to the gearbox so the chances of him counting correctly are not good :shock:

thats a joke before anyone gets upset ;)

Trip

Hey guys ..

I am dis-joining the drive shaft from the inner CV joint. Not trying to remove the shaft from the TC.

Trip

diesel weasel said:
none of the driveshafts are bolted to the box on a gtir

trip, you can get them out without cracking ball joints and splitting cv's

Is this on both sides ? On the passenger side, I only removed the shock and had enough leeway motion to get it out from the CV. On the driver side, i removed the shock, lower ball joint and tie-rod joint to get more leeway.. Then i figured out that the CV is held in its place by something. :doh:

I do not wish to remove it from the driveshafts as yet.

Trip

Mr GTiR said:
Just a word of warning, if you have not drained the box and transfer of oil then you will get oil leaking out once you remove the drive shafts.
:thumbsup: sounds odd to many, but thats the reason i do not wish to remove the drive shafts.

nissans rule

jesus lads i am sorry i said anything now . my passenger driveshaft is attached to the gearbox with 6 bolts . 3 sets of 2 bolts right long side each other. the shaft is bolted on to a half inch thick circle plate which is on the gearbox and look lads i had loads of red top primeras and gti sunnys so go easy on me bitchs

MarkTurbo

nissans rule said:
my passenger driveshaft is attached to the gearbox with 6 bolts . 3 sets of 2 bolts right long side each other. the shaft is bolted on to a half inch thick circle plate which is on the gearbox
It may be bolted on there but if you give it a good yank the whole lot will come out like the other side did ;-) Its easier just to pull the lot out than mess about undoing those bolts (which have a habit of breaking off when you undo them anyway) your obviously not eating your weetabix in the mornings are you :lol:

MarkTurbo

Exactly the same as the other side, apart from when you pull it out you'll notice the shaft inside the box is a bit longer than the drivers side was ;-)

nissans rule

ok mine is definately different so cause mine is shorter and bolted on ' have u any pics cause i have only ever seen my own gtir gearbox

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It not the gearbox it's attatched too, it's the side shaft (according to Nissan) or half shaft as Keiron said.