Dooie' s compression test results

Dooie Pop Pop

Can someone please tell me if iv done this right? have followed procedure here: http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=27468

with engine cold no time to do hot test got to go to work :cry:

pot1=165psi

pot2=165psi

pot3=165psi

pot4=165psi

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
have i done something wrong :?: at tops there might be .5 psi variation at the absolute maximum but without a digital readout i cant say.

what say you lot? the pots were clean, ie no oil.

my shitbox :lol:

MarkTurbo

Those results are spot on, your engine must be in good condition :wink:

I got nearly identical results (on a warm engine) that was with standard compression pistons and a 1.2mm hks headgasket :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

MarkTurbo said:
Those results are spot on, your engine must be in good condition :wink:

I got nearly identical results (on a warm engine) that was with standard compression pistons and a 1.2mm hks headgasket :wink:
8) cheers mark, nice to hear something good for a change. work meant no time to warm car properly before test so did it cold. am gonna do it on a warm engine tomorrow.
bought the car last sept from runcorn the guy said the engine was well sound, it was. so i bought it :D cant understand why pressures so good :? if he' d had it a year and iv had it just over (which is bad for any car)and its 11 yrs old altogether shouldn' t it be lower :? dont doubt i' ll get a different story tomorrow :roll:
not sure how much difference it' ll make, i know some metals expand with heat differently to others, i decided to try both cos im curious like that. gotta admit i got a few butterflies about it (blessed in my ignorance and all that :lol: ) not being very experienced dont help but tbh id rather do it myself and learn :p

stu

Mr GTiR

165 on all four pots is good :D

let us know what you get when you do the compression test with a warm engine.

Dooie Pop Pop

Mr GTiR said:
165 on all four pots is good :D

let us know what you get when you do the compression test with a warm engine.
when i parked it up after its 'warm up :twisted: ' the oil temp was on 85 degrees C

just finished, no pics no time :oops: :( am well confused now cos ive got an avarage of 170psi across all pots, more :shock:

according to instructions suggests valve clearence or contamination which could explain because 2 of my spark plug seals are not very good and i got a little bit of oil on the probe end a couple of times cos i was trying to rush :x i did clean it off :roll: have i shagged my comp tester?

i did the test 3 times on all 4 pots and the highest i got was 171 and the lowest was about 169.

with each test i turned the engine over till the oil pressure light went out + a couple of secs for good measure.

engine oil is clean, no crap in it and radiator water is clean too. my ic is spotless and so is my dv :wink:

gave it 7000rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in front of a mates mondeo yest :lol: he said exaust was smoke free...till he thought about it and then decided to say he couldn' t see where he was going the smoke was so thick :roll: :lol:

regards, stu

MarkTurbo

Thats the same compression tester i've got :lol:

I usually test mine when the oil temp starts to register on the gauge, but i did do it once just after i'd driven the car and i got over 170 psi too :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

MarkTurbo said:
Thats the same compression tester i've got :lol:

I usually test mine when the oil temp starts to register on the gauge, but i did do it once just after i'd driven the car and i got over 170 psi too :wink:
once again thanks for replying mark :D a friend who' s a trained mechanic explained to me today quite logically that, i am 'a plonker' and 'you dont heat parts to measure tolerences on the bench do you?' :oops: stands to reason doing it on a cold engine should show the lowest compression and best indication of wear. he said he was tought to do the test cold :wink:

am now lookin for a light on a stick so' s i can see down into the pot and hope for nice things 8) before i get excited is that normal results then for an 11 yr old R' s engine?

next test matty' s :twisted:

cheers, stu

Dooie Pop Pop

JIMMYBACK B said:
o u can do mine as well then :D :wink:
:shock: talk about the blind leading the blind :lol: better get my blindfold and 3 in 1 ready then.
next week at matts after 2pm. day tbc, matty' s tea bitch you can make me laugh and hold me nuts.

stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
a friend who' s a trained mechanic explained to me today quite logically that, i am 'a plonker' and 'you dont heat parts to measure tolerences on the bench do you?' :oops: stands to reason doing it on a cold engine should show the lowest compression and best indication of wear. he said he was tought to do the test cold :wink:

stu
You're not a plonker :roll:..... Your mechanic friend should also know that most metal part measurements should be given at ISO conditions part of which is 20degsC :p So temperature is important :wink:

Anyway.......

The first line in the manual says Warm the engine, and it does say remove all the spark plugs, (remove centre ht lead, release fuel pressure and do it with a wide open throttle etc etc)

T

Toady

have no worries mate your engine is spot on!! from those results you need not worry unless you engine is smoking! mines all btween 150-160 (i think...cant really remember) but the ring lands have gone so it smokes like a biatch! 8)

MarkTurbo

Dooie Pop Pop said:
before i get excited is that normal results then for an 11 yr old R' s engine?
If its been looked after then yes :wink:

My engine has never been rebuilt and its done 124,000 miles now and i still get over 160 psi across all 4 cylinders 8) I did the headgasket at 114,000 miles and when i looked at the bores they were hardly even worn :p

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
a friend who' s a trained mechanic explained to me today quite logically that, i am 'a plonker' and 'you dont heat parts to measure tolerences on the bench do you?' :oops: stands to reason doing it on a cold engine should show the lowest compression and best indication of wear. he said he was tought to do the test cold :wink:

stu
You're not a plonker :roll:..... Your mechanic friend should also know that most metal part measurements should be given at ISO conditions part of which is 20degsC :p So temperature is important :wink:

Anyway.......

The first line in the manual says Warm the engine, and it does say remove all the spark plugs, (remove centre ht lead, release fuel pressure and do it with a wide open throttle etc etc)

i will earbash his unprofessional ar5e tomorrow thanks :evil: another test then :roll:

Toady said:
have no worries mate your engine is spot on!! from those results you need not worry unless you engine is smoking! mines all btween 150-160 (i think...cant really remember) but the ring lands have gone so it smokes like a biatch! 8)

this is a really wierd and wierder thing cos every now and then only for few secs but only a few and only rarely it does, a little tinsy bit....smoke :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: there i said it :cry: :cry: :cry: only noticed it couple of weeks ago.
left it sitting outside matts ticking over for 15mins and it didn' t do it :? i give it 7K rpm in 1st, 2nd, and third in front of someone and it didn' t do it :? it taunts me with its little oily plumes :roll: vodka. as stated earlier ic is cleaner than a nuns crutch :wink: could an improperly plumbed catch tank cause it? catch tank to inlet disconnected already :? have been advised to cap the rocker cover to plenum breather too.

any suggestions?

problem sorted. the old t28 was on its last legs :roll: i found some oil on the exhaust tubine when i split it from the elbow, no smoke since :)

T

Toady

yeas the standard beather system is a bit poo! you could try a different one and see if that helps, either that or it could just be a puff of unburnt fuel or something? tbh mate it doesnt sound like anything to worry about! :wink: