Done a compression test and.......

N

Nik_GTI-R

I dont know what it means lol.
Basically last night i noticed that the in car oil pressure gauge dropped down to just a tad under 2 kgcm at idle speed.Normally it sits between 2 and 4 kgcm.Now when under load it sits at at least 4kgcm.
So today i done a compression test and all four cylinders were giving good pressure between 150 and 170psi(they were all in the green zone on the gauge).
I noticed that cylinder 3afaik(2nd from the right)had some oil on top of the plug.Looks like its the rocker gasket tho as all 3 are dry where u can see the groove.And this 1 is leaking a tad.
Now the car drives the same,dosnt smoke when on or off boost(havnt went past 4k just incase)dosnt smoke on idle,hasnt used any oil or water.Basically its acting like it should.

So where do i go from here??
Could it maybe be a dodgy connection to the in car gauge or do these readings seem normal.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
the oem oil pressure sensor and gauge are notoriously unreliable, try and drive it normally and just keep an eye on the gauge to see it doesn't drop further.

antgtir

Mine does the same mate as long as you keep an eye on the levels etc i wouldn't worry too much.

Mine does the same thing but there seems to be no consistency as to when it occurs so i think as Steve has said its the OE gauge rather than the actual pressure (doesn't hurt to stay alert though ;) )

Ant.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Could also just need an oil change.. Some fresh oil in there may help..

davey red.r

agree with steve my current r reads just over 4 cold,
2 on tickover and has a good strong forged engine,
my 2 previous gtir/s, had readings of 6 cold, 4 tickover, both had good engines,
they are quite innacurate,
stick it in 3rd gear, get yourself a good stretch and open it up:thumbsup: to see if your pressure needle goes up ,under acceleration should do.

davey;-)

N

Nik_GTI-R

It deffo goes up under load.
The bit is tho,it used to go to over 6 when cold.
Think i will give it a oil and plug change.Its prob due 1.

Also got the GF to drive it 2nite to see if it was smoking on/off boost and it was fine.Only smoke it gives off is cold start which is normal.

I also noticed that when she changed up from 2nd gear,if she was on boost at around 4.5k(too scared to go any further) it was giving a nice flame from the tailpipe.Looked cool as fuk.lol

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:
Could also just need an oil change.. Some fresh oil in there may help..
Agreed, I normally see the needle just tip over the 4kgcm mark when its had a fresh batch of oil and a new filter.

Remember to use quality oils too.
;-)