Do i need an Oil Cooler ?

Trip

I really don't know if i should get one or not. The longest full blast the car will ever do is around 70sec uphill.

Will the oil survive 70sec ??

Thanks
Ev

A

a11ova

it shouldn't be too bad, a lot will depend on other things like how efficient your rad is etc.. But at the price u can pic a 13 row mocal oil cooler complete with fittings, may as well get one just to be safe

J

jpward

Trip said:
I really don't know if i should get one or not. The longest full blast the car will ever do is around 70sec uphill.

Will the oil survive 70sec ??

Thanks
Ev
Hello what is your normal air temps? warmer than here i expect! :lol:

70 secs is really short, the oil will probably rise more sitting idling on the start line!

also what Bar do you run?

Trip

jpward said:
Hello what is your normal air temps? warmer than here i expect! :lol:

70 secs is really short, the oil will probably rise more sitting idling on the start line!

also what Bar do you run?
Normal air temp would be anything between 20 and 30degC. I will be runing on a GT3071R about 25-28Psi

J

jpward

Trip said:
25-28Psi would be around 1.8bar
Yes that is correct 1.72~1.9 Bar @ atmospheric temps of round 25oC

I would say fit one the extra oil capacity will make sure that when the sandwich plate opens up part way into the run fresh cool oil will then be available and this will become more important as the more runs you do will have more residual heat store in the oil from start off ;-)

Mocal 13 Row front mount with sandwich plate and two braided hoses is what you need speak to pulsarboby i think he has still got one going for a good price ;-)

MarkTurbo

jpward said:
I would say fit one the extra oil capacity will make sure that when the sandwich plate opens up part way into the run fresh cool oil will then be available
The thermostatic sandwich plates start to open at around 80 degrees so it would already be partially open anyway even before he started his run ;-)

J

jpward

MarkTurbo said:
The thermostatic sandwich plates start to open at around 80 degrees so it would already be partially open anyway even before he started his run ;-)
But thats if he brings the running temps up before a run Mark, what do you think that it would be more than 80 before launch??

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkTurbo

jpward said:
But thats if he brings the running temps up before a run Mark
Anybody with any sense would let their car warm up and get the oil temp upto at least 80 ish before giving the car any abuse ;-) Or do you just thrash yours from cold :der:

J

jpward

MarkTurbo said:
Anybody with any sense would let their car warm up and get the oil temp upto at least 80 ish before giving the car any abuse ;-) Or do you just thrash yours from cold :der:
I am talking about race car you clampet! You warm engine only enough so that when your on start line the extra heat off the idle brings the oil up to the minimum temperature needed so you are not going into a run with excess heat you are trying to loose from the start line as a few on here will back me up in that when doing runs/passes each one builds on the heat of the next and runs become slower due to loss of power through ever increasing oil/water temps.

Trip

thanks for the comments guys. The car will need a little idling untill the temp is a little up before the run. I don't really want to heat it up to a point i will suffer from heatsoak either.

J

jpward

Trip said:
thanks for the comments guys. The car will need a little idling untill the temp is a little up before the run. I don't really want to heat it up to a point i will suffer from heatsoak either.
Yes I know exactly what your aiming for ;-)

Trip

My requirments are a little more then just having an oil cooler.

Ideally, i would want a relocation kit for the Oil filter placing it instead of the Carbon canister if possible, it would need to have 2 sensor bungs for temp and pressure sensor, And from there a thermostat plate leading to an oil cooler.

J

jpward

Trip said:
My requirments are a little more then just having an oil cooler.

Ideally, i would want a relocation kit for the Oil filter placing it instead of the Carbon canister if possible, it would need to have 2 sensor bungs for temp and pressure sensor, And from there a thermostat plate leading to an oil cooler.
Well if you want to locate it there the only thing would be routing your hoses there and back in a loop including the cooler!

Why do you want to relocate the filter? The original oil/water cooler would let the 2 sensors remain unless you have after market ECU? In which case temp can be taken off the sump, read about someone using a converted sump bung recently and also pressure could be re-tapped into existing mount!