Different boost readings?

G

GazTi-R

Finally got round to fitting an aftermarket boost gauge this weekend in anticipation of the Powerstation meet next weekend. New gauge is T'd into the TMIC rear outlet BTW. Here's the problem... I had originally set boost controller to indicate +7 on the std gauge, but the new gauge was registering only 5psi :shock: Set to standard boost and the std gauge went down to about 3, but the new gauge went up to 7psi :? I am guessing I have a leak in the induction system somewhere which is why I can't even achieve std boost. Q. Where does the std gauge read pressure from? Why would the gauge readings differ so much?

J

jasegould

IIRC the standard gauge is electrically operated via a MAP sensor mounted to the NS inner wing, and its not very accurate.

Plus the standard gauge isnt in psi, its in mm/mercury so wont read the same as your new gauge....but does sound tho something isnt right.

G

GazTi-R

I realised the gauges were in different units, I stated both readings because the std one went up (meaning i am actually generating more boost?) and the aftermarket gauge read lower.

**NOTE TO MODS.. Thought I was in Problem Solving when I posted this, sorry :oops: ***

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
7 on the standard gauge is 13.5psi
3 on the standard gauge is 5.8psi

Is your new gauge electric or mechanical?

It might be worth T ing it into te same place as the standard sensor if possible. ( I don't know where that is :oops: ) as different places in the indutcion system can have different readings due to pressure drops across components.

G

GazTi-R

New gauge is mechanical. I would guess the std pressure sensor is nearer the turbo outlet, hence the higher pressure readings. I was checking for leaks today and all I can put it down to is a leaking BOV. It is an "HKS super BOV :? " came with the car, so age/history is unknown. Will try blocking the BOV off tomorrow to check.

A

Anonymous

I couldn't quite work out where you were teeing in the boost guage...??

Anyway DO Tee into the piping connecting to the stock MAP sensor (small black box mounted near passenger guard.

works for me... :)

-Dan

G

GazTi-R

*Muppet Alert* :oops: Had it T'd into the pipe with the restricter in :roll:
Now working OK (Cheers guys)

geetee

HAHAHAHAH PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't problems like that bug the t1its off you - you spend ages scratching ur head - and owning an R makes you super paranoid and you start imagining all kinds of horrifically expensive reasons why you have the problem...

Then it's simple...

luv it

:lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)