Diesel in Fuel Tank

Turbloide2

Hi all my mate has just put 20pounds worth of diesel in his pulsar the car will not run at all as you well know he has only tried to start it a few times till he relized what a silly thing he had done......

What does he need to do now ?

How does he get rid of all the diesel ?

And will it have casued any damage ?

Thanks in advance for any info on this matter

Shaun

;-) Oh dear ;-) ,you will need do fully clean the whole system out completely before you even think about running the car.This is the 3rd car i've heard to have had this happen,the other 2 ended up with re-builds ;-) .

P

pulsarboby

depends how long he ran it for? he may get away with it! as shaun has stated needs to completely drain system and all fuel lines change fuel filter and spray some carb cleaner into inlet fuel pipe to fuel body's.
remove s plugs and turn engine over without plugs in, clean plugs then fill fuel system again cross fingers and everything else and try and start it.
it will probably smoke heavy for a while due to surplus diesel in bores!

Perrin21

I've just done the same exact thing at bloody BP. Ultimate is labeled same apart from small diesel writing on pump. Cars at Nissan now . They said empty the tank and just refuel it with unleaded. Is this not right? I tried starting car a few times as I hadn't realised my mistake.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You might be lucky. - I guess they figure if you don't put any load on the motor the clean petrol will take any diesel back out of the system and burn it off.

It will work (after all, the two were mixed together when it was crude oil; you've just made really low-grade petroleum spirits), but it will smoke quite heavily until it's all gone.

stumo

usually, if you get rid of the diesel out of the tank and fuel pipes and change the fuel filter (or atleast clean it out) you should be ok.

make sure you fill the tank and keep it topped up for a while