Dialling cams in and mapping

skiddusmarkus

I am looking to get my car mapped again soonish by Ed at Fusion, but want my cams dialled in which are currently set at 0.Basic spec is forged pistons, steel rods, head and crank studs, 1mm steel headgasket, mild p&p of head, double valve springs, rocker stoppers, tomei 260 cams everything lightened and balanced with a gt3071 and 3" exhaust from turbo back.I have PAR gearbox, one of STR motorsports gearbox collars strengthened clutch fork and helix heavy duty organic so should be ok for the power.Currently at 396bhp/350lbft at 1.45 bar.Aim is to run 1.8-2bar and get 450bhp/400lbft.Car currently goes ballistic at higher revs but I'd like more grunt lower down.

I know ideally it would be done at the same time as mapping, but also know its time consuming and Ed seems a bit reluctant to do it.I am not expecting massive gains from it, just want to move the powerband a bit lower down the revrange and get it boosting earlier.
A local guy can dial in the cams for me(used to work for John Nobles and worked on the Noble race engines too), reckons about 4 hours to do it which is about what I'd expected but is it just a waste of time doing it without mapping it at the same time or is it fine to do it this way and map after?

williams

I am looking to get my car mapped again soonish by Ed at Fusion, but want my cams dialled in which are currently set at 0.Basic spec is forged pistons, steel rods, head and crank studs, 1mm steel headgasket, mild p&p of head, double valve springs, rocker stoppers, tomei 260 cams everything lightened and balanced with a gt3071 and 3" exhaust from turbo back.I have PAR gearbox, one of STR motorsports gearbox collars strengthened clutch fork and helix heavy duty organic so should be ok for the power.Currently at 396bhp/350lbft at 1.45 bar.Aim is to run 1.8-2bar and get 450bhp/400lbft.Car currently goes ballistic at higher revs but I'd like more grunt lower down.

I know ideally it would be done at the same time as mapping, but also know its time consuming and Ed seems a bit reluctant to do it.I am not expecting massive gains from it, just want to move the powerband a bit lower down the revrange and get it boosting earlier.
A local guy can dial in the cams for me(used to work for John Nobles and worked on the Noble race engines too), reckons about 4 hours to do it which is about what I'd expected but is it just a waste of time doing it without mapping it at the same time or is it fine to do it this way and map after?
this local guy isnt called dave by any chance?

stumo

setting the cams up to spec will most likely be better than just having them set at 0 as they could be anywhere due to many factors including...

skimmed head, gasket thickness, camchain stretch, the accuracy of the cam ground to the keyway etc etc

Getting the best out of them is as Red has said...dial them in on a dyno but first you're best finding out where they should be set to be in spec as you then have datum points that you can then retard or advance the cams from.

skiddusmarkus

Williams he is called Darren and is more known for mapping.Set up on his own recently.

So if they were set up on a dyno, would say an hour be enough actually on the rollers and the rest faffing about beforehand?Or is that unrealistic and more tine needed?Cann always use Nobles rollers but that will make it a lot more expensive.

williams

Just when you said he was from noble, it sounded like you were on about dave, that ran vsport aka pdtuning aka what ever its changed its name to now, where is he based? He has just getting a 4wd rolling road, and I wouldn't let him dial my phone never mind my cams.