dashboard lights + Fuel Lines

nimhbk

still have no Battery light on the dash lighting up! Nor the dash lights working.

Everything else is great.

Checked the fuses and the bulbs.

i remeber there being a black wire on the alternator that was connected to it by a small bolt which i can not now find on my heap.

could it just be an earth fault that is buggering every think up!

Also the 3 lines that come from under the car

I know the 3rd one goes to the botom of the fuel filter.

The 2nd is the fuel return

where does the first one go too.

please see pic

Last edited:

Spikey

Is it charging the Battery?

The second one sounds like the Carbon Canister has been removed. They vent from the Fuel Tank. and breather.
Its not bad to remove it, Just one needs blanking off...

red reading

that is the fuel tank vent to the carbon canister DO NOT BLOCK IT OFF!! put a piece of pipe on it and tuck it into the chassis, and the black wire is the alternator earth just take one of the alternator casing bolts (little m4/5 8mm hex head one) off and put it on that nick.

If you block the fuel tank vent your car will struggle to run as the fuel level goes down on cold days (vacuem in the tank) or pressurise alot on hot days.............not good.

nimhbk

Dan if the alternator is not earthed up with that wire could that be whats stopping the battery light from coming on!

i hope to get mot end of month lol

if your around at any time Dan would be great to meet you in the heap to see if we hve missed alt out

MarkTurbo

The black wire goes to the body, if you look at the plastic bit the expansion tank clips into there's a threaded hole around there somewhere ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My alternator runs without that little wire attached. - When I put the replacement in after the old one failed I didn't take the mounting post off the old one, and the connector is the wrong size to go over any of the other bolts. I've got it off now, but it's impossible to get the post on with the alternator in already.

I figure it earths through the block and that seems to work for me.

nimhbk

Alternator runs fine its brand new (well had it 2 years buts it has done about 500 miles )

just cannot get the battery light to work on the dash board

Fusion Ed

That light is the field winding light on the alternator. If that's not on it suggests that the alternator will not be working either.