DAMN ANNOYING NOISE

HELP I've got an annoying 'whooooo' (great description) noise coming from the front left wheel of my car that only happens when driving slowly on right hand lock, i've changed the wheel bearing, checked the heat shield isn't fouling the disc and the brakes are fairly new and shouldn't be the problem as it stops if you tap the brake pedal. Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions of what else it could be :?:

geetee

Dunno... as I said it's a guess.... but there's not alot else down there that could only make a noise on lock.

ru sure it's coming from the wheel itself and not from any power-steering component?

Is the rubber boot split? This is the most common cause of premature failure of a CV...

Cheers
GeeTee

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
the brakes are fairly new and shouldn't be the problem as it stops if you tap the brake pedal.
So the noise stops when you're moving if you touch the brake pedal? Binding caliper?

I've never heard a worn cv joint, but they're supposed to click on full lock.
Is the tyre rubbing on anything?

Shaun

:D Take the wheel off and have a look at the pads through the inspection hole at the front of the caliper,check that the ani-vibration shims(the metal plates that hold the pads) arent fouling the disc as this happened to me when i fitted new disc's and pads for a mate of mine :!: If it is then remove the caliper leaveing the pads in place and just move it over with a screwdriver and replace the caliper :!: Job done :!:

A

AJ4

Sounds like power steering, does the steering wheel vibrate a little bit as well when you hear the noise ?

Aaaaaahh confused now! There is sometimes a bit of a click, the cv boot isn't split but there is possibly a tiny bit of vibration through the wheel. The tyres definitely aren't catching on anything. Sounds like the cv joint is the most likely cause... cheers for the suggestions guys :D