'D1 SPEC RACING WHEEL NUT' Revie

johnsy

Iv come across mixed reviews on alloy wheel nut, so i thought id take a punt on these and monitur how they do over the next 12 month.

I choose them simply because i thought they look good they certainly are more pleasing on the eye than steel ones that were

They were 38.50gbp delivered from a vender on ebay,

spec.

Material:- AL-7075
Pitch:- 1.25
length:-50mm

Fitted by hand and then torque'd to 80lbft as recommend, not a windy gun in sight.

There very lite which i guess could be one of the reason why people don't trust them,Ill certainly found out how they cope under hard cornering at my next trackday which is schedule'd for the 20th november @ cadwell park.

results to follow.................

Last edited:

Spikey

I was using Ultralite ones for over 4 years on my Drift car and never had a Problem.

the only issue i had after getting tires from a Garage and they said that 2 had broken. They did not wanna take the blame.

You can use a windy gun just be gentle

Tim

These wont pass a proper scrutineering, that's enough to warn me off them.

I imagine for street use they'll be fine, get some proper heat into them and they're meant to have a habit of loosen themselves.

I understand that goes against what Spikey says, but you drift boys are only playing at motorsport ;)

johnsy

These wont pass a proper scrutineering, that's enough to warn me off them.

I imagine for street use they'll be fine, get some proper heat into them and they're meant to have a habit of loosen themselves.

I understand that goes against what Spikey says, but you drift boys are only playing at motorsport ;)
lol, maybe for 'real' motorsport events but not trackdays, the last time i was at cadwell i turned up late and missed the scrutineers and was nt stopped! also at silverstone there was no scruiteneers just warn where the drive by db tested were,

they have a field day with this 3" zorst iv just fitted,you think a goose is lod

johnny gtir

Must admit they do luck (THE NUTS) :doh: mine came slack a few times so tired tightening them up more and they just tried to strip.only tested on my private track ie country road racing bikes.Like anything looks might not change but design dose over time on many items so try them yourself prove me for one wrong.post your findings as said. As the sayin goes If you dont try u never no

Last edited:

si...

So are these any good ? I hear some are replica versions :/ as they seem to vary in price from £35-£60

si...

Not if someone has had a wheel fall off no they should not be being sold :/
but if they are good quality and will not be a problem then yeah
as they do look the part Just trying to get some info on them from ppl who have used them

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seems like there's a couple of problems; one they strip or crack really easily if you're not gentle with them; two they have a habit of undoing themselves with time (and/or heat?).

Doesn't look like there's much feed-back over the last 6 months or so, which suggests to me that they're more for show than anything else.

On the balance of it, I'd probably stick with steel; yes they may be heavier, but is that a significant weight in the overall scheme of things? I think you could save more weight by not eating before you get in the car. :lol:

si...

Thanks pobody don't think I will be getting them then as not worth the hassle :)
i won't try a diet before I drive as I might start wasting away lol
They just look good against some nice rims as I have just had mine refurbed
i wonder if you can get some sort of electro plating done on steel nuts :/

paz

I've had the same lightweight nuts on my pulsar for years, not sure what brand though - they were on when I bought the car.

They can bend/strip if you use a gun to put them on/take them off - but beyond that they've been fine. To be a little more cautious I put some new locking nuts on the other day, but I just keep an eye on them.

Paz

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seems like that's a reasonably positive review from Paz then. - How much abuse do you give them? I completely understand their value in looking pretty, and although I (try to) take care of them I doubt some jerk at the tyre place will.

Seeing as I painted my wheels anthracite, I've got chromed steel nuts on mine:

MarkTurbo

I wouldn't trust those nuts on a wheelbarrow let alone a car :lol:

All the ones I've seen look like they're made from the cheapest/softest aluminum possible and you could probably strip the thread just by looking at them!

si...

Cheers warpspeed I will have a look at those kits as don't want to have to worrie about loose nuts :-D
thanks everyone for the constructive input maybe the more expensive ones could be better ie ultralight
like the 90 degrees of toe on the rear pobody lol well spotted skiddus :lol: