Cylinderhead removal

T

tobbe_n

hello im pretty new this kind of car'sand have som quistions.
im not very good at english byt i hope ypu can help my any way

i need to know what tools and parts i might need to remov my cylinder head at my nissan pulsar gti-r

any thing i need to specialy carefull whit when removing like the tensioner for the timingchain and so on ?

have orderd new bolts and a headgasket.
that's the things i can get a hand on here in sweden.
the car i's bought in england
2006-12-19 problably
the problem is exahaust gases that are way of for strret usage in sweden it dosn't burn all the fuel and run's porly...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
tobbe_n said:
the problem is exahaust gases that are way of for strret usage in sweden it dosn't burn all the fuel and run's porly...
You mean it's running rich?

Why are you taking the head off?

Have you done a fault code check?

You may have a problem with the AFM.

T

tobbe_n

it's running whit 1,2 i lambda
and have a compression loss on cylinder 4
all other have very big differnce
1: 10
2:9
3:9
4:7

no fault codes in the system found. :(
have recently changed sparkplugs
rotor
distrubutor cap and the car runns better but the compressionloss is my main problem now..
the old owner told me the car has miss fired and run porly a long time..

GINGA

Sounds like the piston ring lands have given way, you will not see this with the head removed, you will need to remove the pistons from the block to check them. Could also be a burnt valve but low compression is normally the ring lands gone.
Theres no special tools required to remove the cylinder head, the head bolts are a 10mm allen key type socket and the tensioner is just held in by 2 10mm nuts.

Last edited:
T

tobbe_n

that's what i thought to. but i need to 100% sure that it's the rings before i order them thats why i wanted to remove the head. but if there is an easyer way to se if it's the piston rings i'm very happy.
i have thougt about removing the complete engine out of the car..

GINGA

Its not the actually rings that break, its the piston that breaks where the rings sit. Its easier to remove the cylinder head with the engine removed as theres a fair amount of stuff under the inlet manifold thats quite difficult to get at with the engine still in the car, but I find it far quicker to remove the head and sump to remove the pistons while the engine is still in the car.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Were the emissions tested when the car was running properly or with the poor compression?

P

pulsarboby

do whats called a wet test on it before you remove anything!

put a tea spoon full of engine oil down each spark plug hole in turn and compression test immediately.
if the compression remains the same then its either a head or valve problem
but if the compression goes up, then it will be a piston or cylinder related problem.

T

tobbe_n

GINGA said:
Its not the actually rings that break, its the piston that breaks where the rings sit. Its easier to remove the cylinder head with the engine removed as theres a fair amount of stuff under the inlet manifold thats quite difficult to get at with the engine still in the car, but I find it far quicker to remove the head and sump to remove the pistons while the engine is still in the car.
i hope not the piston it self is broken the old owner has installed HKS forged pistons in it...

T

tobbe_n

Fast Guy said:
Were the emissions tested when the car was running properly or with the poor compression?
whit the poor compression and hade a HC level att 635 instead of a 100 witch is the most u can have in sweden 100 i mean 635 is way of a lambda at 1.23 as it lowest

T

tobbe_n

pulsarboby said:
do whats called a wet test on it before you remove anything!

put a tea spoon full of engine oil down each spark plug hole in turn and compression test immediately.
if the compression remains the same then its either a head or valve problem
but if the compression goes up, then it will be a piston or cylinder related problem.
i think im gonna try that if it has just as bad compression im happy or maby not that sad at least but it will problaly cost som $$$ any way..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If the HC level was with poor compression, fix the poor compresion and it will probably bring the HC level down. It may even be enough to pass your test.

T

tobbe_n

Fast Guy said:
If the HC level was with poor compression, fix the poor compresion and it will probably bring the HC level down. It may even be enough to pass your test.
my plans for the weekeend is tear out the engine take it a part se what's making my error and order parts for it..
i think the easyest way is removing the cylinder head and oilpan to chek the piston rings.
as u say if i fix it it will pass the test and be street legal for a year :)

T

tobbe_n

the engine is now stripped the cylinderhead looks ok but it have been apart earlyer.
the HKs camshafts have some smal damages on them on the intake camshaft on the side of the chaindrive the first bearing place is a little bit damaged . im thinking of bying a new engine maybee