Cosworth Head Gasket/head bolts

PULSGTI-R

I'm building my engine and im wanting to use Cosworth parts but ive been told the parts listed for a SR20 on the Cosworth website are for the S14/15, the guy at Cosworth told me people have modified the head gaskets so that they fit our SR20 motor.
basically what im asking if if anyone on here has done this and did it work? also are the head bolts the same? he couldnt tell me anything about them.

Im also looking at Tomai parts does anyone have experiance with these?
cheers.

bensmith907

Head gasket is easy. You just need to reem out the two locating holes a little. Not sure about the head bolts most people use the standard head bolts from nissan as their proven. Whatever you do don't get arp ones as they seem to be no good.

williams

i looked on net at the problems with the arp bolts. seemed to be alot of people not using the correct torque figure. or using the figure arp gave but without the molylube. need to use a different torque figure if you using engine oil or fitting them dry as the friction coefficient is different.

bensmith907

Oh right I thought it was because of the difference between the SR20DET and the SR20DET (gtir) engine something to do with them not being as long as they should be. I could be completly wrong but I wasn't willing to risk my new engine build over the sake of the difference in price

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I thought it was to do with them not bottoming-out in the 54C block (thus allowing too much stretch) also, but I haven't investigated it so it's possible I've misunderstood.

vss irvine

I thought it was to do with them not bottoming-out in the 54C block (thus allowing too much stretch) also, but I haven't investigated it so it's possible I've misunderstood.
what he said. they dont bottom out so they pull the threads out the block.

havent seen cosworth headbolts yet but standard nissan bolts can handle over 500hp

williams

how do they not bottom out? they are a full length thread arent they? so would they not just screw in till they bottom out.

red reading

if you screw them all the way in there's nothing to put a nut on.

as this man says, and due to the fact they are too short you will distort the deck and also do you know that after the engine is run in you are supossed to re torque them. P O S.

nme,jun and a few others made longer chisel point ones that did work....but try getting them.

SIR GTIR

same here i screwed mine in till they bottomed and had enough to screw the nuts on i used the arp lube Torqued to their specified torque but didnt re torque and all the center studs had moved they were still tight in the block just the ones retaining the head had moved mostly in the center the 4 on the outside still seemed to be ok

Last edited:

williams

need retorqued after a couple heat cycles. i think the reason they have failed for people is not using the moly lube and not retorquing.

P

pulsarboby

why use them when theres clearlly a problem with doing so???

weve had 4 gasket/head failiures with cars that have come in with these fitted and thats not to mention all the others that have had probs with them too, change them for stock bolts (which clearlly do work) then problem solved, its a no brainer!
mains and rod studs are fine..... rod studs a must as stock are a weak link

just another case of de-modding at its finest lol