Copper exhaust gasket vs MLS

nex

I ordered a MLSS exhaust/manifold gasket but the company sent me someone elses package and then in the rush to get it sorted didnt have the MLSS so sent me a copper one stating it was a better part, are they blaggin me?

It has no compression rings or anything so is essentially 2-3mm thick piece of copper cut to shape. Should I send it back? if not and if i do fit it, does it need any paste? I've seen some people talking about using Copper based RTV Silicone for other copper gaskets?

Advice appreciated!

boyleswar

When subjected to the repeating heating cycle of your vehicles exhaust system, copper gaskets do not become brittle like standard paper exhaust gaskets. This extra durability allows copper gaskets to outlast other types of exhaust gaskets, reducing the amount of time you need to spend repairing exhaust-gasket leaks. Copper gaskets do require special sealants to ensure that the copper gasket seals your exhaust. High-temperature, copper-impregnated silicone sealants will expand and contract with the copper exhaust gasket and remain durable for the life of the gasket.

nex

I was keyboard shopping when i purchased it! any other views welcome - found some copper silicone only place was halfords of all places!

Braveheart

Suck it and see!
I'd be happy with the copper gasket..... it will obviously exspand with heat and should offer a good seal. It will also be re-usable if you have to split the exhaust again.

turugtir

Copper gaskets are not usually reusable, as they tend to do them with compression rings, as the oil plug copper washers. But if you say that this one is not compressible I don't know what to say.