coolant whats the safe temp?

R

richpulsar

when giving my r some the coolant reached 97'c ok i thought after giving it some but some of the coolant gets pumped into the expansion tank and fills it right to the top is this normal also what temp does the thermostat open at

antgtir

Im not sure on actual temps mate but on mine the water temp stays exactly in the centre of the min and max (before you hit the red) and doesn't budge whether heavy or light throttle.

My header tank is filled to the max mark i cant say ive really looked at it as soon as ive stopped but i dont think its ever been about to burst out the tank. I would suggest do a flush out i.e. get rid of the old water and put some new water and coolant in, there may be a slight blockage or the water may be a bit sludgey at worst case scenario, but id do it anyway just so its done.

I will have a look at the water level once ive been for a ride and let you know.

Ant. :wink:

sypher

if you look at the plastic tank that is attached to the rad' it has min and max marks (ehh, i think), when you top up the coolant through the radiator it is / should be cold, when the engin is running the pump pressurises the cooling system as well as circulating it. when the pressure exceeds that of the cap fitted it is passed to the tank to fill to the max. when car cools, the cooling system then draws back in the temperarally displaced coolant

97'c + or - 1>2'c is good / accurate, this is when cooling fans operate.

thermostat opening i'm unsure of (i think 70'c > 80'c)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Car temps should be between:-

While driving:- 84deg - 88deg
While still:- 88deg - 92deg

Thermostat opens at 76.5deg...

Rishi

T

Tart

could be a number of things, one of which may be the rad cap. Since you can get a new one for about 4 quid, I would do that first, easiest and cheaest check!