coolant to oil cooler

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think I'd loop them, but realistically I don't think it makes much difference. - If you can block them so they don't leak, that's probably neater.

Trip

Thanks Pobody.

Looping them (connecting them together) would be the safest method for flow, though i have no idea where to find a hose that shape.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I looped mine..... but I might have blocked the hose I looped it with. Been a long while so I can't remember?

takumigtir

at work as we use independent coolant/oil temperature controls for example using facility chilled water cirulating into the oil cooler in turn controlled by dyno control software and auxilary valves bladdy bladdy bla......any way rather then the engines coolant so that we can control the oil temperature very accurately and as a standard procedure the hoses that i remove from the oil cooler get looped to ensure that maxmum circulation is achieved to be honest we have run engines with them both blocked off and as someone has stated it doent really impeed it at all but if i were you i would loop them every time,hope this is some help:thumbsup:

Trip

i will see if I find off the shelf or fabricate the outlet from the block to be pointing outwards rather than pointing downwards. It will be easier to connect them with a 90deg silicone hose.

thanks for all the input.

pschurr

This 'loop' is the same (effectively) as the heater core and the turbo coolant circuits.
The pump pushes coolant into the block/head. There are two exits from the head, the main one forward to the radiator and the 'bypass' port on the other side of the head.
The turbo and oil-cooler are parasitic flows off the block (and back into the pump inlet pipe). The heater comes off the bypass pipe (prior to thermostat housing, and therefore nice and hot).
You should block these two pipes off. Stop the feedback from block-to-pump-feeder. You'll get better coolant flow through the rest of the system. If you loop it, you create a full flow loop from the head back into the pump - which then does not flow either through the bypass route (when thermostat closed) or through the radiator when the thermostat opens.

If you're going remote oil filter mount/oil cooler, you may be interested in this (I have 2 left, AU$150 each).
GTIR Custom Oil Take-Off Plate

peter

Trip

@Peter.
You seem you have done your investigation there. Did you test this yourself ?

As for the Custom take-off plate. It looks interesting for those going for a remote oil filter mount. I did my custom piece and will retain the same location for the filter while replaced the OE water heat exchanger for a Take-Off plate to an external air to oil cooler
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/Trip_gtir/DSCF0084.jpg

In the mean time this afternoon, i have used the same hoses of the cooler and joined them with a L piece.

pschurr

Looks good there Trip.
I've done it like this.... note that the coolants lines are plugged (alloy plugs) to reduce bypass of thermostat/radiator from head to pump-intake.

peter