Coolant Problem

Hi All

I have put my new engine back into the car and have been running it in but have noticed that the water from the radiator is getting blown back into the coolant reservoir, when i pick up the coolant bottle and give it a gravity feed water dissapears back into the radiator and tops it up.

What is wrong :?: :x

David :D

Shaun

:D Hi mate, :wink: depends what you mean by "getting blown back",how much coolant are we talking about :?: As the system is supposed to do this to a certain degree any way :!: It works on the principal,that when the water is hot and expands,the only place it can go is out of the rad cap,so if there were no tank on the end,you would loose more and more coolant and therefore overheat,so once it has been pushed into the tank,when you switch off the engine and allow the coolant to cool,it shrinks back to its original volume thus createing a vacum which then sucks the displaced water back into the rad :!:

Hope this helps.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Hopefully it's for the normal reason explained aboove, but a blown headgasket can pressurise the cooling system and blow the coolant into the exspansion tank too.

C

C12YSP

mine is doing the same!!!!!!! how much is the normal amount to be blown back? hope my head gasket aint gone, is it common for the head gasket to go? i have a uprated cometic gasket!!!

chris

C

C12YSP

how would the thermostat effect the back flow of coolant into the expansion tank?

monsterGTi-R

If the thermostat doesnt open then it wont circulate round the engine and cool it and it will just boil in the radiator. The water has to go somewhere because it expands when it gets hot and it gets pushed back to the expansion bottle :wink: This happened to me, I'd cheek the thermostat first as this is far cheaper than a headgasket to change.

C

C12YSP

the engine is not running hot but i'll check it anyway, where is it located?

C

C12YSP

turns out mine was an airlock in the system or simular (not to sure to be honest) :lol: :lol: which was cured when i drained the radiator to remove it (i was removing the aircon system). when i refitted the rad and refilled the collant system this problem stoped. :D :D

chris