Coilover setup

paz

If I did decide to pick up a set of coilovers, what kind of place would I need to take them too to have them properly set up?

What are the options within the northwest, is there anyone you would recommend and what are the times/costs normally associated with this?

Cheers

paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Paz, you can do 95% of it yourself on your drive. If you cut a couple of corners. You can set the springs for the desired ride height before the coilovers go on. Buy yourself a digital spirit level off Ebay for £40 and set your camber. Roughly do yout toe and finally take the car to your local garage to get the toe done accurately.

The toe is the most difficult part.

What coilovers have you bought? When you say set up properly, do you mean gangsta cruizin stylee, road or circuit.

paz

I've not bought any yet jim, just wanted to know what was involved to get it right. They'd be set up for fast road, as I wouldn't get them to look good. I like the idea of track, but I'm never brave enough to do it :lol:

so in theory my garage, who are used to performance cars could do it for me if I decided to pick a set up?

Cheers

Paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Probably. You could contact Ant and see who he used for his.

Before you hand over the parts you will need to find some way to adjust rear camber.

stumo

Can you expand on that fella?
before you hand over the parts...this means the point in time before you give your coilovers to the person who is doing the job of fitting and aligning the suspension

you will need to find some way to adjust rear camber....this bit means that the camber isn't adjustable on the standard suspension and to get the most out of fitting the coilovers (see above ) the camber will need to be adjusted and you will have to find a way of adjusting it.

Hope that helps. 8)

olliecast

Hi Paz,
Generally coilovers are only supplied with front adjustable top mounts.
You can adjust the rear camber via the coarse camber mod or by using camber adjustment bolts (i think there are adjustable top mounts avaliable for the rear but not seen many).

Camber bolts have a habit of slipping if not tightened properly so i`ve gone to the coarse camber mod now. Just don`t take too much out of the hole, lol.

There are plenty of posts on here with jim describing order in which you should try it but here`s a little in a nutshell iirc.

Get the car nice and level. I use kitchen tiles with sugar inbetween the top two to allow the wheels to still move.
Ride height will alter toe and camber so set this first.
Then i adjust camber
Then toe.

I do my toe by setting two string paraellel to the centreline of the car.
Make sure your wheel doesn`t move aswell, or it`ll thow out the toe.

Hope this helps,
Saved me ££`s

cheers,
ollie

stumo

Hi Paz,
Generally coilovers are only supplied with front adjustable top mounts.
You can adjust the rear camber via the coarse camber mod or by using camber adjustment bolts (i think there are adjustable top mounts avaliable for the rear but not seen many).

Camber bolts have a habit of slipping if not tightened properly so i`ve gone to the coarse camber mod now. Just don`t take too much out of the hole, lol.

There are plenty of posts on here with jim describing order in which you should try it but here`s a little in a nutshell iirc.

Get the car nice and level. I use kitchen tiles with sugar inbetween the top two to allow the wheels to still move.
Ride height will alter toe and camber so set this first.
Then i adjust camber
Then toe.

I do my toe by setting two string paraellel to the centreline of the car.
Make sure your wheel doesn`t move aswell, or it`ll thow out the toe.

Hope this helps,
Saved me ££`s

cheers,
ollie
and do the caster mod at the same time.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
LOL @stu :)

Paz, you could always come to the next meet and we can talk you through it all.

Th next meet might be on a Sunday though ;-)

stumo

I do try Jim 8)

Paz, it's quite easy to setup the suspension, it just takes patience and time.

paz

LOL @stu :)

Paz, you could always come to the next meet and we can talk you through it all.

Th next meet might be on a Sunday though ;-)
:lol: I could have actually come last week, was as fresh as a daisy! This week I'm not likely to be, but will try!! :lol:

darkyGTI-R

Paz will you bring your R to the meet as only me and one other did lol private joke only jesting with ya Jim lol

paz

Haha I didn't even manage it for that... I did spend the day spewing my ring tho instead!! :lol: