Coilover height adjustment

youngsyp

Chaps,

This may seem like a silly question but, when adjusting the ride height of the coilovers, do the units have to be removed from the car ?

I'd always assumed that to set the ride height, you could just take the weight off the side you're adjusting (jack it up), undo the locknut and turn the body of the damper to either lengthen or shorten the unit. However, having read around the subject a bit, it seems the unit needs remoing from the car or, at least removing at the hub end and lengthening or shortening that way ?!

As I'll be fitting a set next week, all views would be welcome.

Cheers

Paul

PaulB

Quite Right.

They can be adjusted in the car you just have to take the wheel off.

Make sure you count number of threads or use a tape measure to make the sure ride height on each axle is identical.

Trip

you have to calculate the ride height when the car is sitting on its own weight. the weight on all 4 corners is different.

You can also weigh yourself and put ballast (same as your weight) on the driver seat. Or you can relax on the seat and get someone to do the job

youngsyp

Trip said:
you have to calculate the ride height when the car is sitting on its own weight. the weight on all 4 corners is different.

You can also weigh yourself and put ballast (same as your weight) on the driver seat. Or you can relax on the seat and get someone to do the job
That's no problem, I understand that. It was just the best way of adjusting the units for ride height that I was concerned with.

I think PaulB's post above has answered my question and makes sense to me.

Thanks for you opinion though !

Leading on from the above, if I'm going to the effort of simulating my weight in the car for ride height adjustment, should I do the same when the alignment is adjusted and set ?

Cheers

Paul

Trip

youngsyp said:
if I'm going to the effort of simulating my weight in the car for ride height adjustment, should I do the same when the alignment is adjusted and set ?

Cheers

Paul
Ideally YES.

my alignment guy does not allow anyone nearthe car, he is afraid someone will accidentally hit one of the laser things and screws it up.

youngsyp

Thanks for the info. I'll see if the alignment place I'm using has any ballast, if not, I'll take the paving slabs, I'll be using when setting ride height, down there.