code 34

PulsarLee

hi guys,
been having some nice drives out in my R following the rebuild in the summer, went to donnington yesterday just to watch as it was an unsilenced track day... another one tomorrow..(friday 30th). some nice quick motors there:twisted: however, i have a niggling fault with my car would really appreciate some help..

Ok,dont know if i had the problem before number 4 piston decided to let go before i had to rebuild, (guess not given how rapid it was), however, im showing code 34 whenever i do a code check. yesterday when i got to donnington, i noticed one of the electrical connectors to number 3 injector was slightly pulled out of the cap by about 4mm, i pushed it back in and the car felt to idle better. I reset the codes and drove around the large carpark for a couple of times, only gentle throttle and low boost, (felt much quicker) re checked the codes and still showing 55 :-D. Drove the car back to sheffield and re checked, now showing 34 again:sad:......... question is - is it the det sensor, ecu, or another problem - fuelling etc. I guess there are many things that can set of det but cant see anything obvious, only on low boost, plugs a great light colour, great compression, set timing to 20 deg............
if it was the det sensor, how long would it take to show up code 34 from beiong zero'd? I know its not recommended but what if i want to relocate or disable the det sensor, how to etc?

any thoughts guys would be appreciated as im currently 60% happy with my car..8)

also, just a quick question, are there any how to guides for changing front pads as i understand the rears need a special tool to rorate piston.........

cheers and all the best,

Lee

PulsarLee

thanks m8 i know its the obvious option, lol didnt really wana change it as its an absolute nightmare to get to...inlet,mani,off..grrr as i cant get from underneath. i didnt change during the re build as i assumed replacing the piston would sort things............. strange to understand how the det sensor can break.it.looked new still.

ok thanks again for confirming what i suspected...;)

cheers and a happy new year

geoff pine

anyone know what actually causes a det sensor to break as mine looks like new.........?

cheers
Can some one who actually knows what they are talking about jump in and clear this up as I have understood that code 34 means that the de sensor or it's wiring is faulty not that it's registering det.And that if it detects det it just retards the ignition till it stops detecting it :thumbs up: I will ask the 1bar question later :lol::lol:

danr

also, if youre getting rid. just cut the wire from the ecu. buy a new one. attach in the glove box and stick a pillow or something over it. doesnt matter where it is. just that the ecu thinks its working.
but isnt there a resistor you can put between the ecu wires?

also, i thought with ours, there's a filter/sound map in the ecu - so isnt dependant on the sensor ..