Code 21+34

ModMiks

I have problem with my Pulsar.

Consult codes:
21 (24 starts)
34 (23 starts)

Car works fine when the engine is cold. When its warm car sound changes (timing) and no power and
also overfueling.
I have try to change knock sensor and its wiring, no effect. Car works fine if i but knock sensor in some
other place.
Sensor in orginal place: Knock sensor (~2,0V / ~570ohm)
Sensor connected to other place not in engine: Knock sensor (~2,0V / ~570ohm)

I have try to replace/check also these from my other Gti-r:

ECU
Coil
Plugs
Distributor + wires
Power transistor
o2 sensor
Fuel pressure 3-3,5bar (Fuelab)
Turbo T25g (Owner before me have change this)
Temperature sensor ok
ECU grounds ok

I dont understand why its not working when the knock sensor is connected to orginal place.
That code 34 should come only when knock sensor is failing, am i correct?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Not necessarily; it might be telling you that you've genuinely got detonation (which would be why it's going into limp mode).

Any chance that someone has been fiddling with the timing and fucked it up royally? - I'm just wondering if it has been set when the engine is cold so as soon as it get to temperature it's all wrong and immediately logs a fault.

Another question: both temperature sensors; the one for the ECU and the one for the gauges (or just the gauges)?

I suspect that if you clear whatever the ignition problem is the det sensor will clear too.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Part of the problem is that the ECU isn't particularly smart; it can just tell you which areas are responding abnormally.

So in your case it's saying there's a problem with the circuitry that drives the coil (since it's not coil-on-plug it can't tell you anything about whether cylinders are firing or not), and there's a problem with the detonation sensor... which is why I was suggesting timing. - There's some reason it thinks the ignition circuit isn't working correctly, which might be what's causing the det.

I could be completely wrong and it's some transient problem with a dodgy earth somewhere.