Clutch options

katemc

hi all ,

i need to sort a clutch out for my R !

Im a bit lost in the paddle/twin/carbon etc!!!

I have a helix organic at the moment but i cant see it living long!Would like it not to be stupid heavy , and live with 500+? I found a triple plate OS giken which will be overkill but its not listed for a gtir.

Any help will be good ,

Smo

AP Twin Paddle? I'll be using it in my 500bhp build (it's been running 400bhp so far) and is a very nice clutch - a little grabby (as you'd expect to put up with big power) but perfectly drivable and not a nuisance in traffic. Overall I rate it very well.

Empty Pockets

Exedy carbon twin/trippleplate, its what i've been informed as to having the highest ft/lb rating. It's also what i'll be using and i think we're after the same type of end results.

Empty Pockets

No probs, think you would want the s14 one with the optional higher clamping cover, if using this you'd have to open up the flywheel too crank bolt holes to fit it.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
OS Giken twin plate every time, nice and light on the leg doesn't judder or grab and the whole assembly is about 6kg lighter than the standard clutch, the only down side is the price...................

P

pulsarboby

OS Giken twin plate every time, nice and light on the leg doesn't judder or grab and the whole assembly is about 6kg lighter than the standard clutch, the only down side is the price...................
agreed i cant fault there clutches for the reasons said

stumo

what was the score with them snapping the input shafts?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
ill be using the clutch that came off odins 500 odd hp car,

its a twin plate with matched flywheel.

came from these guys

http://www.superclutch.com/index.htm
That was my old quartermaster clutch/flywheel. I used organic and metal plates. Unfortunately I used the organic plates when the car was laid up and the plates deteriorated. I then changed it for metallic plates and got stuck in traffic a few times and shined the plates so they lost their grip:doh:

After that I swapped it with Rob for a few bits.

Allegedly a 750lb/ft clutch. Lovely low weight clutch compared to the RPS I'm using now but I got tired of the maintenance.

Let me know if you need any help with running it.

Jim

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
what was the score with them snapping the input shafts?
Don't think it was the input shafts was it ?

I think what happened was the OS Giken twin plate (the upsrung plates version) had been found to be installed in a couple of cars which at apparently low speed blew the end casings on the box. I think in all cases the cars were being driven hard at low speed (high torque) out of a tight right hand corner..........something like that anyway.

I could be wrong but I think it was an issue which was associated with using the unsprung plates with rigid/solid Nismo engine mounts e.t.c.

I think the OS Giken is quite a popular clutch and just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and I think the same problem would occur with any unsprung clutch plate being used aggressively....

I never really got on with the solid Nismo engine mounts, in my opinion they make the car unnecessarily harsh to be used as an everyday road car. I used the OS Giken twin plate (the upsrung plates naughty version) with standard engine mounts for several years and had no issues at 400 - 450 break.

P

pulsarboby

as with me, its about the only thing thats never let me down and its taken some very harsh use over the years.
and also agree with regard to the solid box mounts as they merely transfer the stress and torque back to the gearbox. however the front engine solid mount is ok!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
however the front engine solid mount is ok!
Is that the "dog bone" one that stops the whole load twisting in the engine bay?

After almost 20 years I think some of my engine mounts are a bit soft, but I don't want to go to a solid mount for exactly the reason above; too harsh for a road car (and probably too noisy for my wife), but I'd be tempted to replace them with polybushes if it wouldn't make it too harsh.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Squirt some silicon in the holes. It stiffens them up a bit without it being painful. I used some special black silicon designed for cars rather than bath rooms. I can't remember the name of it.

vss irvine

tiger grip or sikaflex will do it jim,

i havent looked at the clutch yet but ill be splitting and inspecting it before it goes in, didnt realise it was 3rd hand, but if the plates are all ok, it shouldnt be a problem.

car wont be used much on the road anyway so hopefully i wont glaze the plates.

cheers