closed off vents

1000ny

i was cleanin my bonnet when i got fed up with the water marks comin from the vents so i took them off thinkin i could silicone the seals to stop the runs.

when i opened them up i saw that they had blanking caps over the hole in the bonnet so no air could escape out of them, i`ve taken the caps out so the air vents work but was just wondering if they were there for a really important reason.[?]

1000ny

J

Jon

Loz is right,I done the same & thought i was being clever by removing them to let the car vent the heat more.
it rained that night & my car wouldnt start the next morning as the engine bay was well wet!!
i put them back on[:I]

look out for white C-reg Capri's that smell of No'z.!

M

mattolver

mines had them out since day one and i've had no problems, i haven't got a spark plug cover yet either

Thanks

Matt

ex-gtir

had my car 5 years and never had problems with water without the vent blanks in thats what the rubber boot on the plug leads for i even steam/jetwash my engine bay and it still starts
mike

CLUTCH REPLACEMENT SERVICE CHEAP RELIABLE TEXT ME ON 07976359664 :)

E

Evil_GtiR

mine got all wet into the spark plugs in 1st cyclinder so i put the covers back. Had idling problems.

Curtis

I've had water in the plugs a few times and I've still got the vents on! Go figure...

Curtis
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

A

Anonymous

Ive had 2 Rs with the vents out,but what i do is get an old pair of 6x9s speakers from a scrapyard, and use the mesh that covers them to make a plate. I just cut out the shape of the vent, drill 5 holes for the fixings, and bobs your uncle! a tidy looking vent that will let the hot air escape and does'nt let water in.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ct-max

If your making new blaking plates from old speaker MESH, how if it's mesh can it not let water in. [?][?]

J

Jon

'spose we could battle it out all day as to keeping the vents on or taking them off but all i can go by is that when nice mr Gti-R inventor made our cars he put blanking plates under the vents for a reason.[?]
i wonder why.
another question for the oracle of time.
[;)]

look out for white C-reg Capri's that smell of No'z.!

A

Anonymous

it doesent completely but it acts as a barrier of sorts.the mesh will be a lot larger than the actual hole that you are covering.it looks better too[:)]

A

Anonymous

the blanking plates are for road use. as the car was originally built to rally in some conditions the vents would be used for airflow,in hot countries.etc

1000ny

errr.. right now its all clear to me (!)[xx(]

think i`ll leave them out for the time being and if i have any probs then i`ll put them back in.

but i did`nt realise that mesh was waterproof.[?]

1000ny

GTIR-LOZ

ive had water in me plug wells twice i suppose it all depends on the sealing qualities of your plug caps, whether water gets in or not, shame mine have not got that capacity, but the last time it happened i put a lkayer of grease around the plaug caps, and nothing since[:D]

Loz

A

Anonymous

mesh is'nt waterproof its only what i use and i 've never had trouble with water getting in[^]

chrisniss91

I have just removed mine, i have a sparkplug cover that came with my Front mount, is there anything else i should worry about getting wet[?]

G

GTI-R Kid

I took mine out shortly after i got the car and never had any problems. On clear days could even see the heat haze coming out from the 2 smaller vents.

But then i still have the top-mount so that might have some impact on things.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Do you all still have air con? My std heater system is dragging engine air from somewhere and was wondering if this may have something do do with it.

ie the heat is coming out of those vents along the bonnet and straight into the vents below the windscreen.

Si.