CLICKING NOISE ::: HELP!!!

A

Anonymous

I've read some posts on this subject but can't get an answer.

I am getting a clicking noise which sounds like it is coming from the nearside front especially when turning left. Well that was to start with. The noise has now appeared to have developed when driving striaght. It is more audible at low speeds as it speeds up when accelerating. The only reason that I can hear it well is that I don't have some fookin' 'BARRY' exhaust fitted that sets car alarms off.

Anyway, I was told that it could be the wheel bearing. Got a bearing and was about to have it pressed when the mechanic said that there was no play in the wheel. All visually looked well around the joints etc... and he said that it could be the drive-whatever?

Reading some posts makes you worry unnecessarily so I won't read any more and post this for a solution. Posts are playing with my mind that a Diff is coonted or something. I dont fancy the bill for that as I have just forked out for a engine rebuild 2 months ago.

A quick response would be appreciated.

With Regards, Simon.

A

Anonymous

Yeah the mech' said that they looked fine. Would the shafts make a noise?

J

jasegould

And just because there is no play it doesnt mean the wheel bearing is ok.
Have you checked your tyre for stones jammed in the tread??

Also check the disc/pads etc and ABS sensor ring if you have one
Jay

G

GAZ P

Put the car on full lock both ways and drive very slowly any clicking noise will usually be from a drive shaft :roll:

kyepan

somthing else - put a new cv boot clip on and it fouled the chassis, cause it was a plastic one, that caused a clicking sound. so check that too.

youngsyp

More specifically to GAZ P's point, if you do this and get a clicking sound it is indicating a worn CV joint, not a drive shaft.
You can check the drive shaft splines for wear but, this will normally mean removing the CV joint as well.
When my CV joint went from lack of grease, it sounded like a very high pitched squeal. Kind of like having a stone caught between the disc and caliper. Check your wheels and wheel arch for signs of grease splatter.
From what you are describing, it sounds like the CV joint. If it was a bearing, you would get a whining that would get higher in pitch the more speed increases.

O

one Gti-R

It does sound like the CV's but if they are fine it could be a loose driveshaft, I had this happen in my car gave everything a good thghtening and the sound went away.

A

Anonymous

UPDATE ::: CLICKING NOISE

Alright, this is getting on my feckin' nans.

The update is as follows:

Take the car to Greer Sports. This is the place to go for rally/modified cars. After a short drive the symptoms are clicking on left turns mostly, clunks on weighted pressure turns if on incline/decline. Bill Greer posts it up. Once on the 4-post he checks the obvious, play in the joints, play in the wheels, anti-roll bar, rubbers, etc... but in conclusion there was nothing obvious, e.g. no play.

Ultimately he quite rightly tells me to have the whole strut stripped down for any play in internal joints, bearings, etc...

So, I put it into my garage yesterday morning and was called to say that my bill was 109.90 for a CV Joint as it had lack of grease and labour on top of that along with the fitting of a supplied wheel bearing by myself as a precaution. The bill in total was £219 something. The car was taken on a test run on the by-pass and passed off as fixed.

Picked the car up last night as I had a hire car through the day....more money....and guess what. Clicking noise still present!

What the F**K!.

I'm gonna send the car to auto-heaven soon.

ANY OFFERS?