Cleaning up the intake system

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
As my car is almost back together, I'm just sorting out some bits while the engine is out.

I'm cleaning up the back on the intake plenum as its a bloody mess round there and I'm removing old pipework and welding up the connections etc.

It appears however, that two the the pipes that I've highlighted here should not be welded as they are connected to the brake servo?

I just want to make 100% sure that I'm going to weld up the correct points before I put the engine back together.

See below:

Normal:

I just need definitive answers about what needs welding up and what needs leaving.

Any questions/pointed VERY much appreciated.

(I've added more photos below of welded and non welded just for peoples records.)

vss irvine

yeah these should be kept for the servo. you could use one pipe but it wont give you as good a vacuum or recover as quick.

the idle control might struggle aswell now youve welded up the pipe there too. unless you have alternative?

the rest are fine as they are used to heat up the inlet manifold with a water feed.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Cheers chaps!

Idle wise, I'm going to try and control the idle as best as I can from the Nistune.

I've got the cold start sorted and I've been given a little advice to try and keep the idle steady, that should (hopefully) serfice.

I've had poor idle from boost leaks for the last 4 years, hopefully all this messing about should help lower the revs!

It mainly going on track so should be ok!

Anyone removed their ICV and had many problems with idle?

Jon Olds

Ive taken the whole lot off on my rallycar, so I can get the plenum off quickly. Brill mod.
Tickover wanders, but so what?
Jon

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I welded up all my idle control stuff but left both the outlets for the servo intact. MOT is once the engine is warm on our cars so no big deal for emissions. I used my car daily and the car was only lumpy during the cold start phase but after was fine.

As Jon says, makes a huge difference to maintainability.

I hadn't thought of Martyn's point but it makes sense so glad I left the master cylinder pipes alone.

Jon Olds

A couple of hundred rpm. Think my servo is off a single tapping. My shortage of front brakes. (big AP's..)
Jon

Jon Olds

Servo removal? I have a story there. My pulsar's first event was a single venue event at Albermarle, known for lots of 100mph sections.
I had the servo plumbed into the wrong side of the throttle butterfly.
Some eye watering attempts to try and stop it. 5th gear sections...........Realised the error after stage 2...................................
Jon

vss irvine

my rally car had the servo etc removed and two seperate m/c fitted in its place,

ill post some pictures up when i get home, had a good pedal and plenty of feel on the brakes.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Also, a little off topic.

You can see that the welded intake had quite a bit of dirt and build up over a number of years.
I'm not really wanting to shoot blast it or really have anything "grit wise" clean is as there is no guarantee that all the grit could be removed and all the blasters/cleaners I speak to won't guarantee it free from grit once cleaned (which is pointless really).

My question is what can I do too clean it best as possible, sonic cleaning perhaps?
I've tried degreaser with no avail.

Any suggestions worked be appreciated that I can try this weekend!