Cleaning cylinder head

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I need to clean the cylinder head before installation and had hoped to use a machine shop to do it for me. I've lucked out so was going to save some money and use the dishwasher in the kitchen :shock:

The internet seems to say it's a good thing if done whilst your wife is out. She's out this evening so thought I'd have a go but wondered if anyone has any tips for cycles, detergents or cleaning the dishwasher afterwards to cover my tracks :twisted:

All tips and jokes appreciated

Fusion Ed

Good luck!!!!! I've seen pics of the resultant mess on stuff after putting parts in the dishwasher haha :)

j0ff

yeah, a mate of mine did it recently. The head was sparkling. The dishwasher was oily brown. The wife was livid.

I think it permanently stained all of the plastics a slight brown colour.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Gents, I will avoid the risk of upsetting my wife then. Stu, I was trying to be proactive and not hassle you. Thanks for the offer. If you're around over the weekend I could drop it off?

Liam 589

Last time I cleaned a head I just soaked it with swarfega jizer (haha jizer) for a while then blasted it with a jet wash on full heat. The head was completely stripped for this. Was shiny shiny when I was finished. Hope this helps