chain tentioner

123 gtir

ok got a rattle i thik its the chain tentioner that needs to be replaced.

is it an easy job ????? i think its near the oil filter which i may need to take off ??

any info would be great or links

thank you for looking

P

pulsarboby

lol you aint the first geoff!
i rebuilt kengtir's engine after someone else had rebuilt it a year before and only put one nut on the tensioner as they had snapped the other and left it like that:shock: :shock: thats what led to the demise of that engine! was one big mangled mess of broken parts.

ok in answer to question, by all means try another tensioner but it could well be an overstretched timing chain or the banana chain guide has worn through the nylon plastic covering, which is a bitch of a job to do with engine in situ. is far easier to drop engine out and fix it.

however tensioner is accesible through the top, but its a knuckle scraping job unless you have little girly digits that can get in small places:lol:

geoff pine

I came unstuck because the hook did not drop so tighten it a bit more and sheared one of the bolts . When i should have just turn the engine with a socket on the crank and the hook would have droped:frusty:

P

pulsarboby

just use a long thin screwdriver to knock the hook down, no need to turn engine.

so once taken out the head, you push back the arm thing and hold it back using the small hook right? then tighten it in place and then using a screwdriver, release the hook. Does it then tighten by itself once engine is fired up?
Cheers.

P

pulsarboby

cooorrrrreeeeeect! it will tension as soon as hooks released