Cat temp sensor

J

J-GTi-R

I think we've lost a fair bit of info with the forum move as I know this has been covered many times but I can't find anything using the search function :? :?

Anyways, had my new exhaust fitted yesterday. However, the fitter had to cut off the cat temp sensor, as it was corroded/welded into the cat. As a result my cat temp sensor light keeps glowing away (and if left sitting while running long enough will actually trigger the limp-home mode :( ). I remember reading you could unplug the sensor from within the car, under one of the seats. Can anyone give me a clue where it is, I just keep unplugging the seatbelt indicator switches...

J

J-GTi-R

Cheers, don't ask me what I've just unplugged under the passenger seat then...

E

Edd

hmm well my plug is just hanging under the car as never put it back on and had no problems :shock:

J

J-GTi-R

I think where mine sits now is too close to the exhaust (plus it was a bit of a botched job as the fitter couldn't get it out).

Whenever the car sits for a while with the engine running it triggers the limp-home mode, but that clears as soon as I start moving. I've unplugged it now though, so no more problems :D

M

Muppet

How do you identify when it has gone into limp home mode.

thanks muppet.

GINGA

Limp home mode will mean that it will only rev to 2000-2500rpm max and the engine light on the dash will be on constantly
Safe mode is less easy to, if you've still on standard boost using the standard boost soleniod then the ecu will cut boost to 0.5bar and retard the timing 10 degrees and just retard the timing 10 degrees if you've raised the boost, the car will generally lack power and feel flat and hesitant while driving and once the engine is switched off and restarted again it should return to normal providing the fault is gone, the normal fault being a fautly knock sensor