Carbon Fibre wheels

S

Stoned

Can you buy these or are they a figment of my imagination?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They do exist for motor bikes. There are some for cars, but I'm not sure if they're in production or development tho.
See if you can find anything in search, it was brought up last year sometime.

P

Pete

yes ive seen carbon fibre wheels some where do a serch dude :D

Websnowbo

Holy Shit! I expected th replies to this thread would be they don't exist. Surely that wheel shown is just a mock up, they would either flex too much or be too prone to fracturing surely!

I wouldn't risk them on my drive let alone on the roads around my house!

G

GTiRsalter

Those wheels are forsale in the USA cant remember how much tho.
7x17 is the smallest size in any offset so the could fit the GTiR :lol:

lost there web addy.

ian

Websnowbo

Suppose they might be strong enough, i've just slapped a carbon prop on my Supra and its just a nib under 1000bhp and it's holding up fine.

(Not in real life thought man! Gran Tourismo!)

A

AndrewD

Websnowbo said:
Holy s**t! I expected th replies to this thread would be they don't exist. Surely that wheel shown is just a mock up, they would either flex too much or be too prone to fracturing surely!

I wouldn't risk them on my drive let alone on the roads around my house!
you'd be suprised then websnowbo that f1 cars are souly made out of carbon fibre, not only because of their weight advantages but their strength too, think of it like this
honda integras are thought of as being RIDGID (hence the handling) and have a torsion (amount of torque for 1 degree of twist) of less than 5000 Nm

now we have formula one cars, made from carbon fibre, and theirs is more than 31000 Nm,

so there is no chance that those wheels if made correctly will flex or fracture ;)

Websnowbo

I did know that about the F1 cars, you lolst me when you started on Newtons though.

A body/chassis will not get the bangs and shocks of a wheel though, if you drove a wheel like that on one of John Prescots finest i'm sure it wouldn't last long!

A

Anonymous

how much are the rims and it looks like there is metal around them so it would hold it

S

Sirnixalot

those wheels above are carbon fiber WRAPPED...its just a skin, the innards of the spokes are indeed forged aluminum.....why you thin they are only $1400 for a set of 17's?

Carbon fibe cannot support loads which compress the fiber in from end to end. In other words if yo uget a sheet of carbon fiber and push on the ends it will bend and perhasl break given enough load.

Carbon fibers strength form from its torsional strength. The forces acting on a wheel press from the outer lip inward to the center of the wheel. Any pure carbon fiber wheel (like those seen in bikes) are relying on the ability of the harneded resin to support the compressive loads.

What you want is forged titanium wheels.....but you will have to wait a few more years till they are seen in the consumer automobile aftermarket......even then they will be stupidly expensive. 5lbs titanium exhaust = $1500.......a set of wheels should be in the range of $6000+