Carbon Bonnets - r they worth it?????

S

Sunnyboy368

Hello Chaps,

I want to get a lightweight bonnet for my GTIR. I want to do this to reduce the weight and hence increase my speed of my GTIR.

However before i fork out 500 squid i want to know what sor t of gains to expect in acceleration and top end speed.

What about practicality for everyday use? Do they break easy?

can they be reparied for a reasonable cost?

any expericens from any one here???

manhy thanks

Sunnyboy 368

EVOBAD

well they look ok,u will not see anydiffrence 2 car driving it day 2 day unless u strip the whole car & it wont be cheap 2 repair i hope that helps8)

paz

They're definately not worth posting a topic about when you've already been given the correct answer on another site ;)

They look good, but for the money you'll spend (approx £600, probably more) they'll make pretty much **** all difference to either the acceleration or top end of the car. Yes they're lighter, but not to such an extent that it will be hugely noticeable.

If you want good gains for the money, invest it in the engine bay. Without knowing your spec, £600 will get you the required electronic goodies & fitting to take you upto around 1.2 bar, thats over 300bhp on most cars and will be very much more noticeable than losing 20kg from your bonnet weight :lol:

Best bet is to spend the money in the engine, and then rip out as much of your interior as possible - back seats etc.

Carbon bonnets look cool, but without losing a serious amount of weight from other areas of your car first/ as well (i.e. the fastguys etc of the site) I wouldn't say its worth the money.

Paz

N

Ninja_tune_factory

Like mr paz had said stick the £600 under the bonnet , you could get a 2nd hand power fc for that money and that would help with power and also if you was goin to do any other mod.

Lionel.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
They'll make no difference to top speed full stop. Unless you replace it with a flat bonnet then you may gain an mph or 2.

bracpan

Fit a G/F bonnet instead, half the price and also lighter......could have a G/F tailgate and Bonnet for the price of a Carbon bonnet...
Cheers
Phil